Talk

Advanced search

We lost our lovely gentle 11 year old Lab

(11 Posts)
Nellymay Sun 19-May-13 17:55:41

Our lovely gentle black lab, Cal was put to sleep at 3 30 yesterday aged 11 and half. He had been diagnosed with systemic cancer in february and had been slowly deteriorating since. Yesterday morning while we were staying at SIL and BILs we came downstairs to find that he couldn't get off his bed at all and wouldn't eat or drink and his back legs had gone. We'd been lifting him into the boot of the car for a week or more as he was struggling to get up himself. He'd seemed to be in some pain around his groin and his front legs too.

We rang the vet to get an appointment and came straight back home. We had to carry him into the vets, who examined him and said she thought the tumour may be pressing on nerve or maybe something else and there wasn't anything she could do to help him except temporarily relieve the pain.

We made the hard decision. Poor Cal. We feel so sad and bereft

Our 4 year old lab has known him all his life and has never been on his own.

Livingondaisland24 Sun 19-May-13 17:58:04

sorry for your loss sad

noddyholder Sun 19-May-13 17:58:53

So sorry sad

BastardDog Sun 19-May-13 17:59:22

I'm so sorry. It's very hard.

handcream Sun 19-May-13 17:59:48

I'm so sorry, it never gets easier does it. You made the right decision, remember that dogs dont carry around with them that one day they will die and of course they will be waiting for all of you at Rainbow Bridge.

His last thoughts are that his family were around him.

mumofapirate Sun 19-May-13 18:10:13

so sorry for your loss sad you did the right thing, r.i.p Cal x

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 19-May-13 21:26:12

I'm dreading this. So sorry. sad

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 19-May-13 21:28:44

So sorry to hear about Cal, black Labs are such wonderful dogs

MrsMcGregor Sun 19-May-13 22:27:35

I'm really sorry. We lost ours last year - she was 14 and the children still cry about her, 12 months later.

1MitchellMum Sun 19-May-13 22:41:18

So very sorry. No matter how old they are or how ill they are it is always a wrench to say goodbye. Glad you were with him at the end. I find it helps to write down all the little habits and things they've done over the years. Will make you smile when you look back on it in months or years to come. RIP Cal, you were much loved. x

Nellymay Sun 19-May-13 23:22:59

thanks everyone smile
Thats a good idea 1Mitchell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now