Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Puppy in garden - is it safe?

(6 Posts)
lainiekazan Sun 19-May-13 17:27:33

Our 8-week-old golden retriever has been enjoying the garden, but has also enjoyed eating grass, moss, bird poo...

He has had one injection, but I just saw some comments on various dog sites that dogs should not go in the garde until 12 weeks because of danger of fox and cat poo and certain plants.

Help!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 19-May-13 17:55:01

Fox and cat poo don't contain any nasties which we vaccinate against.
Plants are going to be a danger for a while so I would google for dangerous plants, but for starters anything with a build, laurel, yew, rhododendrons.
I advocate in your own garden is okay.

susiedaisy Sun 19-May-13 18:39:27

I spoke to my vets only a few days ago our new pup is 8 weeks and will have her first jab tomorrow and the vet nurse said your own garden for short spells is ok.

Bunnylion Sun 19-May-13 19:26:35

When mine was about that age he dug up some daffodil bulbs in my garden and ate a few of them. He had to spend an expensive night at the vets with X-rays etc, so do keep a close eye on yours!

MrsWolowitz Mon 20-May-13 07:29:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelgatheHairy Mon 20-May-13 11:20:56

Our vet was worried about rats in the garden. Not actual rats but rats peeing in standing water I think. It seemed to be the only issue he had with puppy (a golden as well) going in the garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now