Talk

Advanced search

VivaLeBeaver want to thank you

(15 Posts)
idirdog Sat 18-May-13 20:50:50

Thanks to your thread and mention of Daniel Mills I was lucky enough today to go to a seminar run by CAPDT. The day was brilliant and the work that Daniel and his team do is truly amazing.

Bit late now but this is what he covered contents of day here

I would have no problem in referring any dog to them.

RedwingWinter Sat 18-May-13 21:39:02

That's great, idirdog. Looks like a brilliant seminar envy Have you seen his book, Life Skills for Puppies? I think every new puppy parent should have it.

idirdog Sat 18-May-13 21:47:39

I agree Redwingwinter it is a great book.

I have come across Daniel in equine behaviour but today his knowledge on dog behaviour and learning was just fantastic. I was also impressed with the team he had around him. It was a great day smile and made me think about how our dogs see their environment and how it impacts on the decisions that they make.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 18-May-13 21:51:50

Oh excellent.

I saw this thread title and thought it said "vivalebeaver wants to thank you"

And I was thinking.....I'm sure I didn't write that thread, has someone stolen my identity! [gron]

I'm ringing the vets on Monday to make an appt for a referral form. I stupidly thought things were getting better but have had a really, really bad day today. Mad dog has bitten Dh, dd's friend and a dog. That's as well as trying to savage several other people and dogs. sad

Several people are telling me to pts......

I really am pinning my hopes on Daniel.

RedwingWinter Sat 18-May-13 21:59:11

That's great, idir. Am jealous!

Oh dear Viva, I'm so sorry it's going so badly. It sounds like you really will have to manage him very carefully so that he doesn't get chance to go for anyone else - maybe shut him away completely whenever DD has a friend round. Have you thought of muzzling him until you can see the behaviourist? You could get a basket muzzle for him (the kind that lets them still open their mouth). You would have to train him to wear it so you'd obviously have to approach that cautiously so as not to get bitten in the process. You have to take it very slowly and give lots of treats for first approaching the muzzle, then putting nose in, building up very slowly until you do it up. Though tbh it might be something to leave to Daniel to train if you're worried about it.

It sounds like you had a nightmare day so unmnetty hugs and hope you can have wine or brew to help cheer you up.

idirdog Sat 18-May-13 22:06:06

Sorry about the rubbish title blush

Don't give up yet Viva do speak to the professionals they will really be able to help you. It is so hard to manage and live with but you sound determine to sort it and I am sure with the correct advice you will.

If you can try to manage the behaviour safely at home in the meantime, use a muzzle, watch for the triggers to his behaviour, get him used to being on his own in a safe place. Also do have time out from him, you need to be able to relax in your own home!

Maybe have a light house line on him at all times so you can restrain him without getting too close which can cause a lunge, bite response.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 18-May-13 22:09:52

Yeah I think we're going to have to get him a muzzle tomorrow. He's just bitten me, literally five mins ago.

Dd is having a sleepover in the front room with friends so obviously can't sleep with the dog like she normally does in her room. So I'm sleeping in her bed tonight with the dog on the floor. He must have decided I don't belong in her bed and has just jumped up and bitten my leg.

Her friends are terrified of him.

I've got a basket muzzle downstairs but its greyhound size so I don't think it will work.....to be honest I'm too scared to try getting out of bed to see.

Oh Viva. That's no good sad

Floralnomad Sun 19-May-13 00:03:42

Oh dear ,have you spoken to the breeder yet ? As her website says she breeds for temperament perhaps she will take him back . Its admirable that you want to sort him out but if he keeps biting people/ dogs you may not get that opportunity . And TBH it's a ridiculous situation that you're too scared to move in your own home sad

Booboostoo Sun 19-May-13 11:01:49

Apologies for hijacking your thread OP, but Viva please go to a large pet shop that will be open on a Sunday and get a muzzle today. The dog sounds very dangerous and while a professional might be able to help you with him you need to take urgent messures to keep everyone safe. If you can't find an open pet shop call your vets and see if they can't lend you a muzzle (yes I know this is a Sunday but the situation sounds urgent).

When he bites has he broken skin? If yes that is a serious escallation and a greater health risk for those bitten (bites have a tendency to get infected).

VivaLeBeaver Sun 19-May-13 11:32:33

Neither of the pet shops in town have a basket muzzle that will fit him. I've checked with their online stock checker.

He hasn't broken skin but has bruised.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 19-May-13 11:34:46

I think things will be fine today and tomorrow. Dd's friends have gone home. I'll stay out of dd's bedroom as he obviously didn't like that.

He growled/snarled at Dh quite a bit this morning but didn't actually go for him.

RedwingWinter Sun 19-May-13 16:47:54

I hope things go better over the next few days. There's a great video about how to train a dog to wear a muzzle here. Hopefully you'll be able to get one soon.

pinguwings Sun 19-May-13 17:12:23

Viva have you had contact with the breeder yet? It's really not on if she still hasn't replied to your emails.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 19-May-13 18:18:49

RedWing, thank you. That muzzle video is fab and I will try and copy how he did it to the letter. Will buy some squeezy cheese tomorrow.

Pingu - the breeder hasn't replied to my email and I know she will have read it. She responded to all my other emails very quickly, think she's avoiding me. I admit I haven't run, keep putting it off. I honestly don't think it will get me anywhere. I don't (yet) want her to take the dog back, she's only going to spin me some blurb about the dog neededing to settle, etc. If there is something about his history she hasn't told me she's not going to admit it. If she's already been caught out forging signatures on puppy contracts she's not exactly the most honest person.

I think I need to move on without her. To be honest even if we did need to rehome him I'd rather go through the Podengo rescue than her even if it meant I didn't get my £300 back. I don't think she'd willingly give me my money back anyway.

However I'm hopeful and positive its not going to come to that. He's been generally better today. Though dh hasn't been here most of the day! He did snarl/growl at dh a bit this morning but not too much. DH keeps feeding him cheese trying to get the dog to make a positive association with him.

However dh can be stubbon. Dog is under the table growling at him. DH won't listen to the warning and back off. He just says "look dog, I live here I'm sitting down". Sits at the table and dog bites his ankle. Like clockwork every breakfast time. hmm

I do definitely feel better now we're getting a muzzle for him. I don't have to worry about dd's friends, my nephew, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now