Talk

Advanced search

Dog terrified of new car help!

(13 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Fri 17-May-13 13:06:12

We just recently changed one of our cars for a Qashqai. Mainly so dog can go in back and baby in back seat so keeping them separated. Problem is dog is TERRIFIED of travelling in the Qashqai. Have just done 2 short trips (under 10 mins one way) with him and he shook the whole time.

He's fine in the "normal" car, he sits in the back seat facing the window and leans against the backrest. The problem with the Qashqai seems to be that it's too "open". He won't lie down and just sits with his front legs trying to brace himself.

We haven't just been putting him in the car and driving off either. We go sit in it with the engine off to get him used to it but it doesn't seem to be working.

nostress Fri 17-May-13 18:34:48

Hi! why not use one of those doggy seatbelts? Looks like a harness and just clips into the normal seat belt keeper and keeps them restricted. Both my dogs have these and i have two dogs and 1 child on rear seat!
If you still want to go with rear try putting his bed in so it smells familiar. New cars have a strong smell and he may not like it. Lavender oil is apparently calming for dogs to. Also try giving him treats for gettingin the back, repeat this lots and build up to the drive!

typoqueen Fri 17-May-13 19:22:32

as nostress says, could also use DAP spray. spray a blanket in the car 10 mins before putting doggie in, if he is a bit stressed it will calm him down, this is what we used for our rescue doggie, 2 weeks later he is happy laying down in the back smile good luck x

littlewhitebag Fri 17-May-13 21:54:05

I have a crate in the back of my car and my dog loves it as it feels familiar and safe.

HelgatheHairy Sat 18-May-13 00:37:54

Thanks all.

We're trying to keep him out of the back seat completely as he's a golden retriever and despite regular grooming is pretty hairy (and can be muddy and wet after walks). We had his bed in there (it's mysteriously disappeared) and was making no difference. The dap spray sounds like something worth trying. He's never been crated so I think trying to start would add too much stress to the situation!

fanoftheinvisibleman Sat 18-May-13 09:04:37

Rather than crating my friend has sectioned off part of her boot for her dog with a divider. Could be worth a try.

1MitchellMum Sun 19-May-13 22:39:03

My dogs are both in a crate in the car - have been for years. But at the weekend took them on a steam train. Younger dog not happy - I think it was because there was more movement, she feels safe in the crate. But maybe consider something like Zylkene just until pup gets used to car. We use it on fireworks nights and it really does work for ours.

Bunnylion Sun 19-May-13 22:45:06

I am in a similar situation. Mine doesn't like the new car (also a 4x4) but since I put one of those moulded plastic beds in there with blankets he seems ok.

I think not being able to lean on anything round corners was freaking him out, now he can lay down without rolling out of his bed. He still prefers the back seat of my little car but we have a baby on the way so need to get him (and all his hair!) confined to the boot.

1MitchellMum Mon 20-May-13 06:04:07

I also feel a bit sick if my OH drives a bit fast round country lanes, so I can understand how the dogs feel (not that I'm suggesting you drive too fast but if a dog isn't secured then any driving could make them feel sick!)

HelgatheHairy Mon 20-May-13 11:26:06

Bunny that's it exactly, I think it's corners he's not happy with! I might try that bed idea but at the moment he just won't lie down in the boot. Need to do a lot more work with the car stationary.

mitchell that's a good point as well. Because we've been keeping to short journeys, they're all on bendy country roads. Had a bit of an issue with dog refusing to get in normal car a while back but once I slowed down, turned radio off etc he was fine again.

HelgatheHairy Mon 20-May-13 11:31:04

bunny just saw your comment on the puppy in garden thread. My boy did the same thing at the same age! Luckily he didnt eat a whole bulb so just threw up a bit (still ended up at vet at 10pm on a Saturday night!)

Didn't put it in this thread but the reason we've ended up with a Qashqai is baby no. 1 is due in a few months so need to keep baby and dog separate!

Bunnylion Mon 20-May-13 19:52:29

grin how funny, we may well be each others doppelgängers, leading identical lives, identical dogs, cars, babies - gardens! I'm scaring myself now.

One other big problem with my dog and the 4x4 is that, even though he's a big young dog, he won't jump into the boot. He will stand there looking at me, waiting for me to pick him up. At 6 months pregnant this isn't a lot of fun! I feel like he knows what a pain this is but take pleasure in it because I won't take him in the small car anymore.

HelgatheHairy Mon 20-May-13 20:58:30

My boy can't get into the boot on his own either (not that he's trying at the momen!) but because he's a golden (who have a tendency to hip problems) once I can get his front paws on the boot I just need to lift his bum in.

I'm going to have to keep taking Bailey in the normal car as I'm 7 months and my back is starting to give a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now