Talk

Advanced search

Dog with an upset stomach

(7 Posts)
AtiaoftheJulii Tue 14-May-13 15:46:29

5 year old Welsh terrier, generally very hardy and not one to make a fuss.

He was up very early this morning (unlike him) and straight out to the garden. Normal-looking poo then, but it's been getting worse all day and he has got more and more under the weather. Last bit was indoors, and was just (sorry, tmi) a bit of blood and mucus. Fresh blood, so I'm assuming just from today and nothing too sinister.

Can't think of anything obvious he might have eaten (he has had episodes of being ill after eating stuff he shouldn't!). I've felt all over his underneath, and he doesn't seem to be reacting to any sharp pains, etc. He was shivering just now though, which looked a bit worrying, but perhaps he was just cold - I've covered him up now. He's clearly feeling very rough - has his head on one of my feet, and a paw on the other, and keeps looking up at me with a "mummy, what's happening to me?" face.

My feeling is to see how he goes and phone the vet in the morning if he's not improved (I will be able to get an appt tomorrow) - reassure me I'm not being callous or irresponsible?

Floralnomad Tue 14-May-13 16:24:45

I'd take him this evening if he were mine ,purely because otherwise if he looked slightly worse at 11pm I'd be at the OOH vet which is 3x the price .

Whoknowswhocares Tue 14-May-13 16:25:35

As a new owner I'm not really the best for advice but I use this guide which is set up by a local vets surgery. Tapping in your dogs symptoms as detailed in the op brought up the result 'contact us immediately'
Hope he is feeling better soon. Apologies for crapness of link!!!
http://www.riversidevets.com/selfhelp.html

CatelynStark Tue 14-May-13 16:26:55

I second taking him tonight. Chances are the vet will just say give him chicken and rice for a couple of days but I wouldn't like to have to pay the emergency visit fees if he deteriorates this evening.

Sorry he's feeling poorly.

Floralnomad Tue 14-May-13 16:27:54

whoknows without trying to be too cynical , I would imagine most symptoms you type in will get that response. smile

Whoknowswhocares Tue 14-May-13 16:30:47

Maybe! grin
Although to be fair, when I was concerned about diarrhea, my pups symptoms brought out the 'wait and see' page

MelanieCheeks Tue 14-May-13 16:31:37

Can you phone the vets and talk to someone there for advice? I know I've done that with mine when they're not well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now