Talk

Advanced search

Advice on a second dog, please

(5 Posts)
MotherOfGirls Sun 12-May-13 08:30:24

We have a gorgeous 2 year old collie x who came to us as a rescue pup. He loves to play with other dogs and so we'd like to get a second dog this summer. While we would be happy, in theory, to have a rescue dog which isn't a puppy, our current dog is very submissive with other dogs and it would be nice if he could be top dog at home. For this reason we are thinking it may be better to find a puppy so there is more chance of this happening. Any thoughts / suggestions / advice?

MagratGarlik Sun 12-May-13 09:56:23

Tbh, I'd say there is more chance of that happening if you get an older dog, whose personality is already formed.

I think though either way, when you get a second dog you need to let them work out who's who and where they stand. Girls will often be the 'boss' over boys for example.

I have known friends get a new pup and the established dog be fine with it until it reached maturity and then the younger dog decides to challenge the status quo. Otoh , when we got or second (older) rescue, we had none of those issues and the two dogs have got along well from the start (with the occassional exception, but never a full on fight).

Bowlersarm Sun 12-May-13 10:01:53

Getting a puppy definitely doesn't guarantee that it won't be top dog when it grows up. Although maybe if you try and chose the timid puppy from a litter that may work.

Also one other point, second dog may not be a dog which wants to play anyway. One of my dogs doesn't want to play with the other at all.

MotherOfGirls Sun 12-May-13 10:03:09

That's really interesting, MagratGarlik. I had assumed a girl might better and younger was better - but I was probably wrong!

MotherOfGirls Sun 12-May-13 10:37:17

Sounds like another reason to choose a grown up dog, so we can be sure they will play together, Bowlersarm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now