Talk

Advanced search

If you own a yorkshier terrier (yorkie) My dream breed, come and

(11 Posts)
SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 11-May-13 20:11:09

TELL TELL TELL! gringringringrin

Tell me grooming, exercise, temperament you've discovered. Energetic or more of a cuddly bum? How hard to train? Specifically, toilet training and barking.

Tell me everything you cam! I am beyond excited!

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 11-May-13 20:13:21

Excuse typos, particular in title! blush

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 12-May-13 12:20:48

*Hopeful bump?
Or are they mainly in the US? sad

shebangsthedrum Sun 12-May-13 12:57:06

yes I have a lovely yorkie age 4 called tia. She can be lovely or aPITA depending on her mood. She is fab with kids and cats and is not at all yappie. She is prone to digestive problems so we have to very careful what we feed her. With regards to grooming she hates it and tries to eat brushes. We get her clipped every 8 weeks or so. She is a rescue form a lady who I knew who died but the most spoilt little girl ever.

Molecule Sun 12-May-13 14:07:55

We have a yorkie and she is a lovely little dog, fabulous with children, cats and really every living thing. She's never been aggressive (lets the cat share her food) and has many boy friends as we are on a main dog-walking path, and has never had another dog attack her.

She's now 15 but in her younger days would actively seek out the children to play with, and was always waiting in the yard when we got back from school to greet them.

The downsides: very scruffy, mainly because we live on a farm, so we now get her hair cut two or three times a year (think Hairy McClary); not very trainable, but because she's little it's never been a problem, and I don't think we tried very hard (when we go for a walk she never leaves our side, so doesn't need a lead); likes the sofa and always pulls down a comfy cushion to sit on, not too keen to move when asked, but would never growl or snap; utterly daft with livestock, has never sussed that a cow or horse might kick, so walks around back legs with impunity - even worse now she's nearly blind.

She's been in robust health up untill the past few months when she started with bronchitis , and so is now on steroids, but until then had only been to the vet's once in her life.

She only yaps to be let in or out, never at other times, but she is quite persistent till she gets her own way.

She really was the perfect dog to have with small children.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 12-May-13 17:29:00

Oh Molecule! Your bitch sounds just like my 'dream yorkie!' Grooming wise, do their nails have long quicks?

Second all, are they very affectionate? The more affectionate a dog = Much more likely to be 'the one' for us.

Are they one those breeds that that truly dislike children? Obviously would be problem!

Thank you sooo much for replying!! Your post truly lifted my spirits.thanks for that. My lifelong dream may actually come through!!! winegringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin

.... May be feeling happier! smile

Aquelven Sun 12-May-13 18:00:07

I have three.
My eldest now, I've had others before, is 14. The other two are six & five. Two bitches & the middle one is a dog.
They all have long, silky unclipped coats as they've been shown. The coats are a lot of work if you keep them long, brush & comb every single day, bath once a fortnight with nails clipped, ears cleaned & trimmed etc.

I have a couple of another breed as well, Skye Terriers, but the Yorkies are my first love, can't help it grin
They vary a bit in temperament, the youngest is my complete shadow, follows me absolutely everywhere except the supermarket even to the toilet. She sleeps on my bed. The little dog is a real snuggle mutt but he does sleep in his own bed. They are both completely without any temper at all, never so much as growl, though they do bark if I don't get them to shut up hmm
The eldest girl is more feisty. She has never, ever so much as growled at me but she won't stand any nonsense from other dogs,not only my Skyes(who ignore her) but also any passing dog for heaven knows why she doesn't like the look of, be it Great Dane, Rottweiller, whatever confused she bit off the top of my thumb when I was breaking up a fight between her & a friend's Jack Russell. Try explaining that to a laughing A&E doctor blush

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 12-May-13 20:40:23

Aww they sound sweet! Despite being temperamental around larger dogs, if you teach them grooming from a young age do they object?

Also, are they clever dogs? Easier to house-train? we can play some tricks when s/he's not busy having cuddles and breaking my heart? grin
Also, how big is your yorkie/s? The internet in pretty confusing with proper sizing. I will be going to a registered breeder, I just want to know what I can know beforehand.

digerd Sun 12-May-13 20:58:55

I met my friend's 4 month old Yorkie girl, and I fell in love with her. So sweet. I picked her up and she wriggled with joy and friendliness and Licked my ears. She loved being on her back and having her tummy rubbed. Came when she was called.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 12-May-13 22:15:42

That's good! Sounds like most 'Toy' breeds. A few people told me -In the manner as if I announced I was betting a pitbull- That yorkies were different to other toy dogs.

Seems that's just a myth! (As well a pittie one, obviously)

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 12-May-13 22:16:44

GETTING! GETTING! I do not bet on those horrific dog fights! shock[bush]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now