Talk

Advanced search

Non smelly dog breeds

(28 Posts)
Feathered Sat 11-May-13 13:58:39

Hello . . .
I'm just at the beginning of researching getting a dog. I had a really solid english setter when I was a child and I adored him. My husband has always had cats. I've been trying to persuade him to have a dog for years. His main reason for not having one is the smell. So - any advice on this? I'd love something like a golden retriever personality wise, although I think they can be a bit stinky.
We have a seven year old and five year old twins so we really want a good family dog.
Thanks!

TheCunnyFunt Sat 11-May-13 14:11:31

Greyhound or Whippet, I have a Greyhound and he doesn't smell doggy at all. My mum really doesn't like dogs for the same reason as your DH and even she comments on how non-smelly he is. Whippets are the same, they don't smell either. Also Whippets especially make great family pets.

MagratGarlik Sat 11-May-13 15:57:30

I'd second what Cunny has said, though I think it is ironic that a cat person doesn't want a dog because of the smell - I think cats smell awful.

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 11-May-13 16:00:16

Greyhound or Staffy.

Greenkit Sat 11-May-13 16:45:47

Whippet smile

I have two and they never smell that doggy smell. They are very clean and quite easy to look after

Greenkit Sat 11-May-13 16:47:03

In fact to add, we have two dogs, a cat, a rabbit, fish and a bird, and our house doesnt smell.

My mother would tell me if it did wink

nooka Sat 11-May-13 17:10:52

I think any dog with smooth short hair would be likely to be less obviously doggy smelling, but I'm not sure how you would test that out!

EasyToEatTiger Sat 11-May-13 17:28:29

All our dogs smell delicious. Just think of fresh baked bread...

finickypinickity Sat 11-May-13 17:32:03

Dont get a Labrador or a Terrier.

Febreze is my best friend at the moment!

Shybairns Sat 11-May-13 17:36:59

I think the stinkiness can depend on a.) what they are fed on and b.) how often they are washed.
I have found that dogs who are fed on wet food i.e. tins are far stinkier than ones that have dry food.
Our goldie never had a strong smell. (unless she'd rolled in shit wink)

finickypinickity Sat 11-May-13 17:39:06

I want freshly baked bread smelling dogsenvy

superfluouscurves Sat 11-May-13 18:24:13

poodle or poodle cross

my sil has one and I don't want to sound unkind but she herself would freely admit that diligent housekeeping/hygiene is not her strong point when it comes to herself/house/or dog

but her dog doesn't smell of anything - really nothing - doesn't shed either - dh and I can't believe it!!

the last one reeked - it was a cocker spaniel which stank frankly you had to take a deep breath before getting in to her car

clam Sat 11-May-13 18:35:10

I have a poodle cross (spaniel/poodle)
He sheds a tiny bit at this time of year, but I've not been aware of him smelling. Nothing that a quick spray with the shower wouldn't fix, anyway unless he's rolled in a cowpat or foxpoo

I too have always loved golden retrievers, but am allergic to them. My cockapoo ticks the scruffy fluffy box, but without the snuffles.

VirtuousVamp Sat 11-May-13 18:40:18

Another for greyhound! We have a lurcher. Greyhound cross. And he's fabulous with children of all ages and no smell except his breath but I don't tend to go too near an open mouth of any animal!!grin

Foosyerdoos Sat 11-May-13 18:43:14

I also think poodle or poodle cross. PIL's have standard poodle and I have a doodle, neither shed (not guaranteed with a cross) and they don't smell overly 'doggy'. I think food also plays a part, we only feed dry food and I think that keeps smells down. Also poodles are really lovely dogs.

MagicBaguette Sat 11-May-13 18:51:52

Trailhound!

Honestly the best family dogs. So so gentle and loving, and great personalities! They don't smell as they have short hair.

Google trailhound welfare smile

PuppyMummy Sat 11-May-13 22:12:27

We have a cocker spaniel, very good family dog. She only smells when she rolls in poo or has not been bathed for a while, day to day she doesnt smell.
Decent quality food helps them not to smell, keeping the coat reasonably short and regular brushing.

GROOVEYCHICK Sat 11-May-13 23:07:07

my husky pup smells of nothing no smell at all
my golden retriever is bathed every 4 months and smells of cheesy wotsits no matter what i do but crazy me loves his smell lol

EasyToEatTiger Sun 12-May-13 11:34:19

I don't think our dogs smell of anything other than gorgeous. It helps to keep them vaguely groomed and free of fox shit... My nose is probably de-sensitised.

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 12-May-13 20:50:21

Staffy/whippet cross. There's a lot of them about. Abolutely adorable tiny puppy smell. Have to get really close to smell it. Yummy.

TheCunnyFunt Sun 12-May-13 21:12:09

Kitten that would be a Whiffie then wink grin

lougle Sun 12-May-13 21:29:43

My Whiffie is really whiffie right now hmm

I've just taken him off burns and put him on a cheap as chips dog food, because he's so very skinny on burns. So far, he stinks!

I may need to go back to the drawing board.

Apart from that, I agree, Whiffies grin

Turniphead1 Sun 12-May-13 22:00:52

My friend has a miniature schnauzer and he really doesn't smell.

We have a labradoodle and she smells - but not overly. Also we keep her in our large kitchen/diner with a tiled floor so our house doesn't smell doggy. Dogs plus carpet = whiffy IMHO.

tanfastic Sun 12-May-13 22:03:05

I have a Lhasa Apso. He stinks to high heaven.

MagratGarlik Sun 12-May-13 22:05:57

Lougle, have you tried raw tripe to put some weight on your whiffie? When it's raw it doesn't stink too much and the dogs love it - they don't smell like they do on cheap find either (and it's cheaper than tins).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now