Talk

Advanced search

Where has this flea come from?

(11 Posts)
Thumbtack Wed 08-May-13 07:59:07

I am mortified! And also a little curious as to where this hopefully single flea has come from, so can someone shed some light on this?

I found it on my foot this morning, its definitely a small flea.

I am fully up to date with flea and worm treatment for my dog AND she is not even here at the moment (she goes to stay on my parents for a week every few months, has done for years)

She also has zero contact with other dogs as she can be aggressive . . So how has this flea gotten into my home?

I do have a slightly skanky friend with three cats who visited yesterday, do you think its a cat flea?

Thanks confused

tabulahrasa Wed 08-May-13 08:59:14

Most dogs that have fleas have cat fleas anyway...it could have arrived on somebody else, it could be from your dog and has had a chance to get about because it hasn't bitten your dog while it's been away and so hasn't had a chance to get a dose of the flea treatment.

There could have been a hedgehog or cat in in your garden with fleas...it could have come from next door...

Your dog doesn't need to be in contact with other dogs to get a flea, just be were a dog or other animal has been.

Basically they're sneaky wee buggers, lol.

I'd get some spray and spray while the dog is away - just in case.

Callisto Wed 08-May-13 14:07:01

Dogs can pick fleas up from anywhere that other dogs, cats, hedgehogs, rabbits, etc have been. My dogs and cat always seem to have fleas, even though they are always Frontlined and I deflea the house regularly.

Try some Indorex household flea spray - it is the best stuff I have found so far.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 08-May-13 14:09:42

So your dog has regular flea treatment that is adult fleas dealt with when your dog is there. However, 90% of flea problems are in the carpets not on the dog. Your dog is away so the live animals the fleas jump on to are you. You need to treat your house with Indorex or Acclaim hoovering really well before spraying.

ShowOfHands Wed 08-May-13 14:13:39

And if you're using Frontline then it's no longer effective against fleas I'm afraid.

I've lived in a rented house with no pets and had a flea problem. It was a dormant eggs hatching out during a warm period problem not an animal problem

Thumbtack Wed 08-May-13 16:54:11

Ahhh, you see for some reason, I thought they couldnt live unless it was on a dog - although I had heard the eggs lay dormant in carpets. Okay, So I will hoover and hoover again, then fumigate with your suggestions - Its a good thing she isnt here really, makes it easier to deal with.

Had a new carpet put down about two months ago - So the problem surely cant be that.

Oh and Yes, I have been using Frontline - I guess I'll pop to the vet and see what they suggest as an alternitive.

Little Blighters. angry

Grunzlewheek Wed 08-May-13 17:04:53

I have been suspecting that the Frontline isn't working, been treating the dogs and cats and spraying carpets but dogs still scratching, so what can I use instead of Frontline ? (Vet recommended it hmm)

miggy Wed 08-May-13 21:02:13

it could be from your friend
we regularly had staff from a bank coming in to buy indorex as they would find fleas 9no pets obv!)
good thing is it wont breed without an animal to feed on but yes household spray would be good.
advatage,advocate, stronghold all more effective than frontline

Imsosorryalan Wed 08-May-13 22:12:41

Our vet only recommends advocate now. Seems to work although you have to apply it monthly. It also does cover most type of worms as well ( except tapeworm I think) so you don't need a regular seperate wormer. ( tapeworm wormer every 6 months).

Irishmammybread Thu 09-May-13 23:44:25

We use Comfortis flea tablets on our dog once a month. It has the fastest speed of kill of adult fleas compared to any of the spot ons, you don't have to worry about it becoming less effective if the dog gets wet/swims or is shampooed and there are no chemicals on the coat so you can allow immediate contact with children etc. after treating.

nohalfmeasures Thu 09-May-13 23:46:56

Advantix does fleas too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now