Talk

Advanced search

Toilet training help!

(4 Posts)
Karbea Tue 07-May-13 12:17:40

Ok Dylan has now been with us for 3 weeks he is a 14 week old American cocker. He isn't clean.
He has had one day where he has made no mistakes, and he is regressing he now does poos in his cage.
Today is my anniversary and I've cleaned poo from his cage, bathed him, and the cleaned a wee from my cream lounge carpet.
I no longer see a cute puppy!

I spend all day with the kitchen door open and I take him out at least once an hr and give him treats when he is good. He can pee on command In the garden.

Please help me! How can I stop indoor wees and poos.

ginauk84 Tue 07-May-13 12:51:53

I probably wouldn't be leaving the door open as he needs to learn to ask to go out, at the moment he's probably going in and out and not understanding the difference between it. We had newspaper down by the back door as most pups will go on newspaper, so when we saw puppy heading for newspaper we let puppy out to do it's business.

Regarding weeing in crate - is it a big crate? Might be worth putting him in a smaller crate at night, as he won't want to wee and have to lie in it but if he has room to have a wee and still not lie in it then he will probably take that option.

He will need a wee after eating, drinking, just waking up and playing so after each one of these times take him out.

Also if you see him going to the toilet in the house don't pick him up and put him out as he won't understand the way out, distract him and call him to the door so he knows where he has to go.

Karbea Tue 07-May-13 13:05:51

It's pooing in the crate and he wasn't doing it and now he is, but he seems to do it as I protest as he does it after his morning walk whilst the cats are having their breakfast. And he is quite happy to walk around in the poo.

Yes I take him out after all of those.

I'll try the distraction and calling him to the door.

I think I've just got a dirty puppy sad

Karbea Tue 07-May-13 13:06:17

As a protest... Not I.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now