Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of getting one of those poodle breeds

(6 Posts)
OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sun 05-May-13 14:03:02

Relax, relax! I mean a standard poodle!

Anybody have one and have any comments? I have small DC, from what I have read they sound like they make good family pets?

I've had gundogs before, but I would like a non-shedding dog next as my parents will be my dog-sitter if / whenever I go away and my mum has become allergic to dogs. I know she may still react to a poodle but it is likely to be a smaller reaction if she does...

smile

LEMisdisappointed Sun 05-May-13 14:11:04

Nice smile

multitask Sun 05-May-13 14:13:13

Yes they are absolutely wonderful dogs, look on my profile. They are totally versatile and can be trained for any discipline, we've done showing, obedience and agility with ours. I should add though that they don't really settle down until about four years old and require a load of training, they are super intelligent and like to use their brains. We had a 2 year old child when we got one pup then she was about 2 yrs old when baby number two arrived and there were never any issues.

Oh forgot about one, when off lead our last girl loved to bomb our DD, she'd gallop towards her and just miss her each time but now and again DD went up in the air luckily she found it funny and dog did grow out of it.

Great dogs, I've always had poodles and always will with the standard being my main love smile

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sun 05-May-13 15:07:11

Thanks multi, yes I had read that poodles were very clever so wondered if that might make them more challenging pets. I am fine with lots of exercise and training when young, but haven't ever had to do agility or similar before to keep the dogs entertained once grown.

I love the middle picture on your profile. Definitely a happy animal!

happygardening Tue 07-May-13 11:36:04

We've got a miniature poodle (middle sized) I am told there is little difference between them just size. We used to have gun dogs (pointers). He is the best easiest to train most handsome funniest most adaptable completely barmy happy (his only emotion he's either happy or sleeping these are not dogs that dwell on life misfortunes) non shedding (what a revelation never again will I own a shedding dog) dog we've ever had. I love standards but they can be really big one I met the other day was pushing 29" to the shoulder it wouldn't really fit in my car unless I folded in half or unscrewed its legs but one day ..........

haggisaggis Tue 07-May-13 11:44:08

I love standard poodles- unfortunately dh doesn't - doesn't like the curly hair! My mum had one (and a boxer - great combo!) She was very bright but loved chasing and catching birds. I remember walking her in the park and crows divebombing her because she'd chased a baby crow. She also loved swimming - jumped into a pond once adn my brother had to strip to his boxers to get her out because her collar had got wedged in an overhanging tree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now