Talk

Advanced search

Pug Odour

(17 Posts)
xTillyx Sat 04-May-13 08:35:44

My Pug really stinks! We've had him for 5 years and he always has.

I've read so many times that Pugs can have this cheesy kind of smell because they sweat a lot. We clean his wrinkles regular and he is bathed as and when needed.

Do other peoples Pugs really smell? Do you think I'm just more sensitive to it and others just stop noticing it when they're used to having a pug around?

xTillyx Sat 04-May-13 08:38:18

Forgot to add, I wonder sometimes if it's because he's a male, I've only really met Pug bitches. Also, not neutered as vet advised against it in case of weight gain

monkeyfacegrace Sat 04-May-13 08:47:09

I have 3 Pugs.

They stink more than the pig farm next door.

Their breath is fishy, and their arses ming.

Hth.

xTillyx Sat 04-May-13 09:00:19

Yes that helps loads thanks, you've perfectly described Percy. He is a stinking,snorting, fishy thing.

PuggyMum Sat 04-May-13 09:19:55

Ha! I have 3 pug boys and they all smell of roses!

Seriously keeping them fresh is a constant battle but we give them each a Dentastix chew in the evening (buy in bulk off amazon!) and hubby does their fishy bums (boak!).

Skin folds need to be cleaned (and dried!)...

Hubby also deals with their moulting as I am allergic. He brushes them every other day. We've just bought a furminator. He's yet to use it!

I bath them (In a trug in the garden if not too cold).... Usually about every 6 weeks.

In between I baby wipe their leg pits.... But one of them insists on cleaning the others pits so that la quite er. Helpful!!!

Love my stinky buddies though smile

xTillyx Sat 04-May-13 15:07:53

PuggyMum you are very dedicated! I think I am going to have to start doing more because the smell now its getting warmer is starting to get to me!

We can't give him dentastix as came down a few times to green poo everywhere (he has a sensitive stomach)

Have a very good razor type brush that gets rid of all the fur.

May I ask...does your hubby have a particular way of doing the bums? Is it just baby wipe?

laurynbell Sat 04-May-13 15:14:09

Hey I have a male pug. I have never noticed that he smells and he will be 3 this year. The moulting drives me mad lol! Can you recommend a good brush I could use? X

xTillyx Sat 04-May-13 15:29:45

Don't know the name of it but the one I have is like a hard metal brush that sort of razors the excess coat away. If you google dog brush for undercoat it should come up with some good suggestions. Got mine off amazon I think smile

The moulting is never ending isn't it

PuggyMum Sat 04-May-13 16:08:57

Hi xTillyx, he uses a baby wipe or tissue. If you watch on you tube how to squeeze their anal glands. It's pretty gross! He tried the inside method but its no better than just squeezing underneath.

Also, we did once notice one of them eating poo! So we pick up the poop from the garden as quick as we can.

I think that brush is like the furminator.

Where are you based? I'm on the North West and a large group of us meet up regularly for pug walks!

xTillyx Sat 04-May-13 16:29:50

I think I can put up with the grossness if the smell improves. Aww pug meet ups sound great, I'm in Leicester though x

pugoff Sat 04-May-13 17:37:42

There is a facebook group of us who meet in Nottingham about once a month. One of mine stinks, fishy bum and stink breath,the other is clean as a whistle but thoroughly naughty and annoying. Not sure which is worse.

xTillyx Sat 04-May-13 19:56:17

Aww, mine is naughty and smelly. Well technically he's not mine he's Mums but we live with parents at the min. He is such a lovely dog though and so docile, I can see why people choose pugs even though they smell.lol

WaftyCrank Sat 04-May-13 23:00:25

I have no idea about pugs but Percy is a great name!

Yoghurty Sat 04-May-13 23:14:58

My 4 year old spayed bitch pug stinks too grin

We bathe her, she smells of the shampoo for maybe 2-3 days, then she goes a lovely spicy/biscuity smell for a week or 2, then the stink kicks in! Her nose wrinkle needs cleaning every other day to keep it fresh and clean.

No butt/gland issues, thank goodness!

bottleofbeer Sun 05-May-13 11:53:10

Yes, and bulldogs. A very particular smell I think.

As much as I love bulldogs I could never have one for that reason.

Manda472 Sun 05-May-13 12:00:31

I was just going to mention bulldogs, our Stanley reeks confusedhis trip to the poodle parlour lasts 2 days.

xTillyx Sun 05-May-13 18:38:59

Thanks WaftyCrank smile

Nice to hear about all the other little pugs out there, they are gross but so cute.lol.

Aww,poor Stanley :p

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now