Talk

Advanced search

Are any of you dogowners allergic to dogs??

(21 Posts)
PacificDogwood Fri 03-May-13 22:13:07

I am a reglular lurker on The Doghouse.

I have a cunning plan to get a dog in about 2 years when DS4 is a bit less insane. I grew up with dogs, I am yearing for a dog, my older DSs are desperate for a dog - I am filling the time with displacement activity like research about local puppy classes, learning about breeds, exploring local rescues blush.

DH, however is rather allergic to cats and a little to dogs.
I am not looking for hypoallergenic breeds advice as his type of allergy means he would have to spend time with a dog before it could be declared 'safe'.

I was just wondering whether there is anyone out there with experience of having an animal allergy who still managed to be a successful pet owner? And enjoying it?
I've heard anecdotes of people taking a daily antihistamine and getting away with being exposed to dog hair/dander/saliva.... <<hopeful>>

Any stories greathly appreciated smile.

ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:17:24

Yes I had a dog for 14 yrs
I was allergic to her as was ds.
I had to wash my hands after stroking her which was a pain .
My reaction was itchy ,swollen eyes and hives .

I would love to have another ,work commitments stop me ,not the allergy.

I would go down the daily anti-histamine route next time.

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 03-May-13 22:35:22

I am not but ds is. Spaniels for unstance set him off so badly his eyes swell shut within minutes.

We looked at breeds best for allergies and settled on a Border Terrier. Then we found a breeder who was happy for ds to spend time with her dogs.

I was prepared for frantic scrubbing and medicating but we haven't had a problem at all.

PacificDogwood Fri 03-May-13 22:37:27

Oh, just the kind of reply I wanted to hear, ggirl, thanks grin.

DH reacts instantly to some dog breeds saliva with big itchy hives and gets wheezy after a few hours in a 'doggy' home.
We spent Christmas with DBiL a few years ago, they have 2 labs, and DH needed to use his nephew's inhaler after a few hours. Thereafter he was fine. For 4 days hmm. Not sure how that can be medically explained.

What I really, really want to avoid is finally getting a dog and then having to rehome him because DH cannot tolerate sharing a house with him sad - that would be horrible all round.

I am thinking sighthound at this point - greyhound, whippet, lurcher - would suit us well. Lots of them in rescues in Scotland. And we'd go and rub one up against DH before a decision was made grin.

Gawd, I am dedicating FAR too much brain space to pondering this!!

PacificDogwood Fri 03-May-13 22:39:17

fan, x-posted with you, thanks. Border terriers, eh? Interesting. Do they need clipping?
I have to admit I am keen on a larger breed but no effing Labradoodles

ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:41:14

I had a beardie so non shedding but lots of hair .
I and ds react more to dogs like labs/retrievers.
Ds also gets wheezy with lab/retriever type coats but has been fine with whippet , terrier and poodle.
I would love a greyhound.

PuggyMum Fri 03-May-13 22:41:37

I'm allergic to animals and we have 3 dogs! I have had cats too.

I build up quite a tolerance to my own unless I am run down. In other people's houses I swell up in minutes.

I was at a clients house today and his dogs nose touched my leg. Itchy rash quickly followed!

I can live with it. Small price to pay for the benefits of having pets!!

PuggyMum Fri 03-May-13 22:42:16

Sometimes one of them sneezes full on in my face! That's not a pretty sight. I have to douse myself quite quickly!!

Soupa Fri 03-May-13 22:42:28

I am a bit allergic specially to one of them, male and intact and quite greasy with scrofula a plenty. I wash hands a lot, never rub my eyes and don't start scratching if I itch. Actually my response has become less and isnt a problem. Cats kill me though!

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 03-May-13 22:43:47

You really shouldn't clip them as it ruins their coat (and as it is pretty much self cleaning mud wise you don't want that!) You strip them, which is literally just pulling out the long top layer by hand. It is very easy and strangely satisfying grin

They are fabulous little (energetic) dogs.

notapizzaeater Fri 03-May-13 22:44:05

Not dog but dh is badly allergic to cats, we slept in a 2 cat house once and the next day he couldn't open his eyes they had swollen so much. However ds ambition in life was to have a cat from being about 3, the dog just would not do. So with a contingency plan in place (next door also wanted a kitten) we got one from a rescue - ds knew if dh reacted badly she would just live next door. A first we kept her downstairs, dh takes a Zirtek everyday and he's been fine. She now is charge of all the humans and the dog and she sleeps in our bedroom !

ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:45:31

this thread has made me want a dog ... sadfucking job

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 03-May-13 22:45:44

Oh, they think they are the worlds biggest dog if that helps! They aren't lap dogs by any means. They are tough little things but very affectionate.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Fri 03-May-13 22:47:17

I'm allergic to cats, yet have 2 and we jolly along just fine - one long hair and one short hair, my allergy is null and void - if I dare to look at another cat I am sneezing,asthma plays up, itchy eyes. I think I got used to my 2 as had them from kittens.

I also have a short hair dog (mutt but strong Lab genes) I've never had a problem with dogs. just recently my brother's Border Collie and Aunt's Golden Retriever have sent me scatty - blocked nose, sneezing and wheezing sad

notapizzaeater Fri 03-May-13 22:47:29

I lurve my beardie, didn't know they don't shed till we got him ...

jagois Fri 03-May-13 22:48:54

Didn't know I was allergic until my parents got a new dog ( had had dogs before which I was ok with) which made me itch, cry, wheeze etc...so, resisted getting a dog for our family. Eventually, went to see some puppies, stuck my head into the group of puppies and found it was ok. Would never have taken on a dog that, like the one my parents had, made me hAte visiting them. I think that for me, I had to be sure that I wouldn't be allergic, because it is no fun spending time with people who just don't understand that itchy, scratchy, wheezy makes you HATE their cherished pet.

PacificDogwood Fri 03-May-13 22:58:58

Oh, I luffs you all grin.

I am SO linking this thread to DH - cunning plan may actually be realistic
I shall go to bed happy

gringringrin

Stewdent Fri 03-May-13 23:06:54

I react badly to some dogs more than others. I find short costs more likely to set me off than others...Labs, JRTs etc.

I live with one of the largest, hairiest breeds you can think of but am fine with my own dogs and others of this breed. Although I do come out in a lumpy rash if they lick me but its fairly easy to avoid being licked much.

Scuttlebutter Fri 03-May-13 23:16:41

DH has a number of allergies. Very severe allergy to cats and horses, and a less severe reaction to long haired dogs. We did our research and took on a greyhound - incredibly short, fine coat. DH copes well and we now have four greyhounds in the house. If we visit friends with longer haired dogs or to indoor events e.g. dog shows then he will become wheezy, puffy, eyes stream etc. He manages this for a known day out by taking anti histamine tablet before going, minimising contact with dogs, and ensuring he has his inhaler with him. At home with the four greys, he is fine - cuddles them all the time and they are usually parked on or in our bed.

Iteotwawki Sat 04-May-13 01:34:31

I am allergic to Everything With Fur (dogs, cats, horses, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, rabbits - after 20 mins in a pet owning household I am wheezy, sneezy, eyes swollen). DH is allergic to dogs and cats.

We have 2 cats and a puppy smile I took 3 days of prednisone (30mg) when we got the cats plus a daily antihistamine for 2 weeks. Then I took an antihistamine only when I reacted for 2 more weeks. After that I was acclimatised and didn't need anything - till we went away on holiday and I reacted terribly when we got back! 2 weeks of piriton daily sorted it and it all settled again.

Haven't had to take anything with the puppy - we got a poodle cross (I know you said no labradoodles but the fleece coat is great) and so far I've not reacted to him at all. He's smaller though (retriever x mini poodle).

I never had pets growing up and I was determined that regardless of allergies, my sons should have animals around.

I still react to everyone else's pets, just not mine.

TheCunnyFunt Sat 04-May-13 08:17:54

I am, I'm allergic to dogs, I get wheezy, puffy and runny eyes, runny nose and can't stop sneezing. I have a Greyhound, have had him about 15 months, never taken an anti hystamine while I've had him and never had a reaction to him smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now