Talk

Advanced search

If you have more than one dog...

(17 Posts)

...How long did it take for them to get along? Early days here with Jas and the pup (one week tomorrow) and things have been going reasonably well. Jas would rather have nothing to do with him, but tolerates a fair bit while occasionally giving a grrr or a snarl. I cocked up earlier, though, and dropped some veg in Jas's bowl without crating the pup. Didn't see exactly what happened, just heard the noise and then the pup took off shrieking like he'd been murdered. Not a mark on him, mind. Totally my fault, but it's shaken me. Regale me with your tales of your multi dog household and how they now sleep holding paws (or something) <reaches with a shaky hand for the wine>

MissBetseyTrotwood Fri 03-May-13 18:40:49

We're a newly two dog house too.

They are doing fine. I will, however, swing for the next person who rolls their eyes or tells me how 'brave' I am for taking another one in. So far I've just been explaining through gritted teeth that 'We. Are. Coping. Fine!' while they crack some joke or other about having two dogs two DCs two guinea pigs one job etc etc and however do you manage...

<pats down wild hair, breathes again, swigs wine>

Feel slightly ranty today as DS1 split his forehead open at school and we've been all afternoon in A and E having it glued back together.

Anyway, I digress. Our fights have been over cuddly toys, whose bed is whose and the odd food mistake. And fitting in the car together, for which they are both muzzled. It's horrible when they have a pop at each other, such a nasty sound comes out of both. Seeing your lovely DDog's face all pulled back in a snarl is unnerving too.

Ours are starting to settle, after about 10 days together. Newbie wears the trousers I think, but there are some things our old boy won't let her mess with, which I think is healthy.

And she's showing him how to play like a dog. Lovely.

finickypinickity Fri 03-May-13 18:44:42

We are nearly on week 2 and even though its gone much better than expected, today has been the first day big dog has allowed little pup to cuddle up for a sleep. I have photgraphic evidencegrin

I'm a bit worried about whats play and whats irritation and when i should intervene and when i should leave well aloneconfused Lots of nipping, snarling, yelping, general noise and rolling around.

I'm trying to read doggie body language but big dog winded the pup 2 days ago and gave me a real fright. I think the Honeymoon period is over!

I would say that the only thing i am really careful with is feed times. Pup has food in his crate whilst M has his as usual without any interference.

I will read your answers with interest!

Bowlersarm Fri 03-May-13 18:46:26

It's great having two dogs-hang on in there. I can't quite remember how long it took Dog 1 to accept Dog 2 (7 week puppy). He would have nothing to do with her to start with and if she walked in to a room, he would walk straight out. Something like 3-4 weeks, I think, before they formed a relationship. They get on well now.

Don't leave them alone to start with, I put the pup in a crate (ooh must pop over to that thread!) if we had to go out just to keep her safe and to stop her, as puppies are so annoying to older dogs, upsetting him.

HotPanda Fri 03-May-13 20:07:28

I am reading with interest, as I am soon to be introducing a pup to my 5 year old.

topbannana Fri 03-May-13 20:19:49

One week tomorrow as well chickens
TBH we are surprised as GingerDog was pining on his own so his intense dislike of the pup is unexpected. After a couple of days the bloodcurdling snarling has subsided, to be replaced with a complete indifference, a sort of "if I completely ignore it then it won't be real"
Things are improving and I think that as soon as the pup is out and about properly then things will be immeasurably better <crosses fingers>

gymmummy64 Fri 03-May-13 20:59:43

So wine now not gin? Must be bad! No experience of 2 dog household (but sooo tempted, am watching your progress keenly!) My only offering is that we've gone from Gymdog having the cat in his jaws to them cohabiting on the same sofa. I never ever would have predicted that

I'll take that, gym. It's not that bad really, I'm just over protective of my pfd and now the tiny puppy. Both are currently asleep on the sofa, but at opposite ends.

34DD Sat 04-May-13 04:02:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

34DD Sat 04-May-13 04:10:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MagratGarlik Sat 04-May-13 10:42:44

Neither of ours were pups when we got them and I think we were very lucky that there were no real problems. Once or twice they've had a small stand off, but never fought. I work on the basis that unless blood is drawn it is better to stay out of it and let them work things out themselves.

When we got our girl, our boy wanted to rest his head on her etc, but she told him off quite quickly and he learned. Now, they both sleep in the same crate and the only time she tells him off is when he gets over-excited trying to play (he is 3 years old, she is undefined age, but very old).

I think some falling out is normal (like with dc's), but as with dc's you tend to know when intervention is needed.

topbannana Sun 05-May-13 08:39:46

We have "sleeping together" boys!!!!!
After a full week of sour faces and mardy arsing about, GingerDog has finally accepted that the puppy is not here on a temporary basis and he may as well make the best of things grin

finickypinickity Sun 05-May-13 09:19:34

Thats great news banana. Our pups crate is now redundant with both dogs sleeping in M's basket.

Happy days (for now)smile

Hmm. Jasper is starting to show interest in the puppy. The puppy barks at him and then hides.

Stewdent Sun 05-May-13 09:28:58

Let me think....

Eldest is 9, youngest is 8 so it's taken roughly 8 years and they'd both still rather the other didn't exist. They don't fight as such (beyond the odd bit of argy bargy over food which is normal) and rub along ok but they prefer not to occupy the same space as much as is possible and barely acknowledege each other's existence. We even have to pay for separate kennels at the boarding kennels when we go on holiday as gthey would be miserable if forced to share the larger (and cheaper) 'family' kennels.

theodorakisses Wed 08-May-13 08:06:31

I foster all the time, usually have 5 or 6 around. I have a glass door that they can see through, new dogs and cats are always introduced through the glass for a day first. The glass gets covered in sniffing snot though.

Yoghurty Wed 08-May-13 08:18:21

It took a little while. Initially we had the issue of razor sharp puppy teeth- the older dog had a scabby neck for weeks because of the little play nips he gave her- after that they settled down.

If I leave them alone together for more than 5 minutes they play-wrestle, which is exhausting to watch, which them becomes a struggle, which then becomes older dog 'screaming' at the younger. If I'm not there, they get put in separate areas grin

Having said that, they are both draped across me, sleeping next to each other like angels ATM grin

Keep all food and toys separate if you can and that should minimise some of the stress?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now