Talk

Advanced search

Will my dog get stung by a bee?

(9 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Fri 03-May-13 14:10:25

It sounds silly but Alandog has just discovered all things flying, in the garden and loves chasing them. Flies, butterlies, anything. She also likes chasing bees.
If she gets stung, will it hurt? Or aredogs not bothered about that?

cathpip Fri 03-May-13 14:36:31

Depends, my old dog got stung yelped and scratched at the spot then carried on being a muppet. My new dog got stung by a wasp and his whole face puffed up and he couldn't open his eyes, needless to say the fool got stung on a sunday and one very expensive out of hours vet trip later he was fine just a bit sorry for himself.....

Whippoorwhill Mon 06-May-13 14:07:31

My golden retriever used to spend all summer chasing bees and wasps. He'd catch them, then yelp when they stung him and would have a fat lip for a while. It never seemed to put him off.

On the other hand my Curly girl reacted like cathpip's dog and her whole face swelled up and she needed vet treatment.

A bit off-topic but my vicious tabby cat was stung by a bee on her paw once.

The vet said to put it in iced water to help the swelling - like that was going to happen, cat would have shredded me! She was fine, eventually, but never did it again.

GemmaTeller Mon 06-May-13 14:17:53

My two boxers have both been stung on their faces - they swelled up horrifically.

Vet gave them antibiotic and anti histamine shots @ £50+

SunnyL Mon 06-May-13 14:29:43

I had a whippet who would regularly eat flies, wasps, bees. He had a particularly bad sting once that swelled his gum up to epic proportions. After that he would shake every time he saw a bluebottle and exit the room sharpish. Still it stopped him chasing bees and wasps.

Twattybollocks Wed 08-May-13 07:03:41

My old staffy used to chase bees as his favourite hobby. He was stung several times on the nose/in the mouth and sadly never learned.

AdoraBell Wed 08-May-13 15:52:55

I have two young dogs, not puppies anymore, who while away the days attacking my lavender and rosemary because of the bees. They haven't been stung yet.

ginauk84 Thu 09-May-13 12:49:14

One of mine got stung in the mouth and also on the foot, didn't have any adverse reaction other than a bit of crying. We dabbed it with vinegar as it was a wasp sting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now