Talk

Advanced search

My dog has red irritated armpits

(7 Posts)
RiaOverTheRainbow Fri 03-May-13 13:52:07

My labradoodle went to the groomer's yesterday and has been licking and snicking at her armpits since, and they've gone very red. It might have been the shampoo, but she spent the afternoon playing in long grass which I think may be the cause as before her skin was protected by the longer fur. Whatever it was it's clearly itching and her fussing is making it worse. Am I right in thinking you can give Piriton to dogs?

HotPanda Fri 03-May-13 16:36:43

Mine has too. We've been on holiday and he has been at the dog sitters, so god knows what he has been up to. I've been putting Savlon on it and not letting him lick. This seems to be clearing it up.

I didn't know about piriton, is it brand specific or will any antihistamine do?

PsychoCynic Fri 03-May-13 16:41:44

My pup has exzema, which I have managed to control with fish oil tablets and Aqueous cream, it's slowly working it's way out but not a clue what he's allergic to. There is a spray on the market that heals exzema but you need to find the cause too.

NewlywedUpTheDuff Fri 03-May-13 16:51:02

You can give dogs piriton but you should get a vets advice for how much to give

BeerTricksPotter Fri 03-May-13 16:51:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 03-May-13 17:46:43

Some anithistamines are okay others are not. All are used 'off-licence' so all advice on their use should be direct from your vet who has your dogs clinical history and can give you specific advice.

RiaOverTheRainbow Fri 03-May-13 18:04:59

Thanks everyone. I've given her one piriton and she hasn't fussed at it since. I'll check her harness too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now