Talk

Advanced search

Jumping up advice please

(2 Posts)
Iteotwawki Fri 26-Apr-13 10:30:42

We have a 6 month old retriever / poodle cross. He's been to puppy classes and has got the hang of "sit" fairly reliably. We're still working on recall (will be trying some of the games mentioned on the "rescue and recall" thread on page 2).

One of the main places we walk him is the local beach where dogs are allowed to be off leash.

However he is overly friendly with anyone and everyone - if he sees another person walking their dog he will bound over to say hello and jump up at them. We are trying to train him out of this but it doesn't help when the person he runs over to gives him fuss / strokes as I think it reinforces his jumpiness. I worry that he'll jump at a smaller child (often to be found on beaches!) and while he's only 8kg at the moment, I'm sure he could send a toddler flying.

We put him on the leash for 5 mins after every episode and we don't give him any fuss when he jumps up at us.

He adores the chance to run free - how do we let him do this but train him not to jump?

DeepRedBetty Fri 26-Apr-13 10:34:19

It's infuriating isn't it when your puppy gets a 'reward' from well-meaning dog liking passers-by for jumping up!

You need to work on stopping him from charging over, if only to give you time to shout 'please don't pet him!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now