Talk

Advanced search

Any experts with advice please.Our dog is being aggressive to new kittens.

(5 Posts)
NonnaMai Thu 25-Apr-13 17:34:38

We have a 6 year old Weimaraner and a 17 year old cat. They live happily together by ignoring each other.

Yesterday we got two kittens. I knew the dog would be interested but thought a quick sniff and she would ignore. Sadly no, when I introduced them she lunged and snapped. I pulled the kitten away and the dog just caught her fur.

There is no way I will keep the cats if they are going to be in danger, but the dc are already besotted as am I .

I am going to buy a large dog crate this morning. I thought if they live in there for a few weeks until the they are bigger the dog might get used to them. Is that a stupid idea?. We re-homed the dog three years ago. She is brilliant with the dc but can be extremely protective when people come to the house.

Any experts out there this morning. I need to go out in a minute but will be back later.

NonnaMai Thu 25-Apr-13 17:37:02

I know Weimaraners are hunting dogs but she has never shown any inclination to chase cats before. I just took her for a walk and we followed a cat for a long way down an alley. The dog looked but as usual made no effort to chase.

Lilcamper Thu 25-Apr-13 18:58:06

It is very important that the kittens have somewhere safe to escape to that the dog can't reach.

RedwingWinter Thu 25-Apr-13 20:33:38

It's not fair on the kittens to keep them in a crate. They need a chance to explore, do lots of rough-and-tumble play, and learn about the world.

NonnaMai Thu 25-Apr-13 21:16:42

I'm not keeping them locked in. They have just gone in having been out since 4.15pm. When I go to bed they will be allowed out with the dog shut in another room.

I've just got the crate so I know they are safe when the dog is around. I'm hoping someone else will tell me dogs do tend to get used to cats as they get bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now