Talk

Advanced search

Questions to ask dog walker

(8 Posts)
ILikeToClean Thu 25-Apr-13 14:23:07

So have a dog walker coming to meet us and pup at the weekend, I work 2 days so need someone to come in at lunchtime on those 2 days. Planning on seeing 3 or 4 different people - they all charge the same so think it will be a case of seeing who we/pup likes, but what should I ask/look out for? They will hold a key too. Thanks.

SunnyL Thu 25-Apr-13 14:38:00

The main questions for me would be do they have insurance? How many dogs do they walk at once? Do they let them off the lead?

In general the insurance policies only cover them for up to 5 dogs at one time. However I regularly meet dog walkers who have up to 10 dogs with them, half off the lead half on. This is wholly irresponsible and frankly dangerous - how well would you trust someone else's dog not to run off, get into fights with other dogs etc.

In our county they need to have some form of clearance from the dog warden too.

dyslexicdespot Thu 25-Apr-13 14:45:49

I agree with the above and I would also ask how they clean up after multiple dogs if they let them all off lead. Try and find out if they walk with the dog(s) or if they simple let them run a round while they wait at the entrance to a park.

I have seen so many dog walkers do this in our area. It's not uncommon to bump into large packs of dogs, no human in site, only to find the dog walker sitting on a bench at the entrance to the park! Pisses me off.

ILikeToClean Thu 25-Apr-13 15:00:19

Thanks, the impression I get is she only walks one dog at a time, she said she'll bring her CRB certificate. Anything else?

yesbutnobut Thu 25-Apr-13 19:46:16

Ask if she'll text you when she's collected and dropped your dog off (speaking as someone whose dog walker once forgot my dog).

ILikeToClean Thu 25-Apr-13 21:01:15

Ooh yes that would be a good thing to put in place! Thanks!

Snugglepiggy Fri 26-Apr-13 17:35:56

It's a two way thing.You need to really like and trust your dog walker - ask for up to date references ,CRB ( I have it) and go on your instincts but most importantly your dog and how they react to them But tbh if someone asked me to text each time I collected/ left the dog I would most probably decline them as a customer.Don't get me wrong,of course you are paying for a service and expect a top quality one - but immediately this would say to me I am not trusted.I ask customers if they would like a note saying when and where we went for the walk,and often add little details of interest about behaviour,who we met etc.I know these are much appreciated and keep it very personal to their dog.
However when it's cold and my phone is buried deep in a pocket so it doesn't fall in the mud,and I'm rigged up in waterproofs and gloves etc I restrict phone use to only essential calls/ texts and concentrate my efforts on supervising the dogs safely out of and into the house / van and on the walks.Once I have done the walks that's the time for phones and admin but that's just my take on it after many years practical experience!
(And yes have forgotten a dog once when very busy- no excuse I know - and the customer had swapped days and between her note and my diary I forgot to change it.She was very understanding and said no great harm to the dog and house overall,and she's still a customer.I have also turned up on a non walk day and given the dog a free 'bonus' walk because it was so excited to see me.We are only human after all!)

ILikeToClean Sat 27-Apr-13 09:53:42

Thanks, she's coming later today so will ask all those questions. Understand your comments about texting but as we commute and are not near it would reassure me, even if it's after she leaves. I think she has one client at a time so hopefully will have time to do that. I think a trial run would be good too, whilst I'm still at home. Will probably be on gut instinct and what puppy thinks! Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now