Talk

Advanced search

raised liver results

(7 Posts)
lookingforbaubles Thu 25-Apr-13 14:23:02

i have a 5 yr old ish westie, she is a rescue girl so age is approx

a routine blood test when she had a uti flagged up raised liver levels

after many more blood tests she has just had a liver biopsy -results wont be in for a week

she is on tablets plus special canned food which she turns her nose up at so im cooking her chicken/carrot/sweet potato which google tells me if good for liver cleansing

anyone else have/had a dog with liver problems?

im hopeful as she has no physical symptoms at all, and it seems to be earlier the better for liver disease treatment, she has been on tablets now for 3 weeks but there has been no lowering of the liver levels which is disappointing

she is such a lovely little dog [worries]

1MitchellMum Thu 25-Apr-13 14:58:28

Sorry to hear that. Do you know what the levels are?

lookingforbaubles Thu 25-Apr-13 15:57:42

sorry not the actual details, i was told but i didnt take it in, i shall ask them to write it down

biopsy is checking for virus/cancer but the sample too small for the copper test as they just did a needle biopsy this time

she is on denamarin, penicillamine and destolit

1MitchellMum Fri 26-Apr-13 08:36:05

I think it's useful to find out the actual levels. You can then write them down and monitor them each time. I hope the biopsy comes back clear. If there's no physical symptoms and she seems fine then I think it's easier not to worry. Who am I to talk!! I worry like hell, but if they're eating, going to the toilet and otherwise OK then I'm always hopeful that it's something treatable.

lookingforbaubles Fri 26-Apr-13 09:27:38

thanks 1mitchellMum, i have lovely vets but it doesnt stop the worry

im sure i have a little squiggle next to my name at the vets when i turn up with her lunch in tupperware blush

1MitchellMum Fri 26-Apr-13 10:50:13

I think a lots of the vets' skills come from knowing the owners! But if it wasn't for us paranoid pet owners they wouldn't have half as much business!

lookingforbaubles Fri 03-May-13 10:18:48

update on the biopsy results

seems to be pointing towards congenital liver defects, very narrow veins -- no hep/cancer found

she is to have a scan with some rinky dink machine next friday to look for a shunt

shes bright as a button, eating/drinking/pooping --with her own shelf in the fridge for her food that teenagers are banned from eating!

im hoping if shes had this since birth and managed ok, with some good food and liver supporting drugs she should be ok for a few more years

such a first world problem i know --shes just a little dog but very much loved blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now