Talk

Advanced search

Havashire Terrier training recommendations.

(11 Posts)
FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 00:22:49

We have just been given a 10 week old male Havashire Terrier unexpectedly. DP and I have only previously had larger dogs so are wondering if there are any training programmes which work well with bouncy little fluffballs like this?

For anyone that's wondering, he is a gorgeous little ball of black fur with a tiny white tuft on his chest smile

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 00:53:38

Anyone?

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 08:11:49

Any training method that promotes positive force free training would be fine.

tabulahrasa Wed 24-Apr-13 09:01:36

What's a Havashire terrier?

Clicker training's good, but I don't really see why training a small dog is any different to a big one. smile

CalamityKate Wed 24-Apr-13 09:12:49

A dog is a dog, largely.

Training is training.

fanoftheinvisibleman Wed 24-Apr-13 09:37:46

As someone with a small breed puppy I'd say it is exactly the same. I think treating them differently as how you end up with so called small dog syndrome.

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 09:44:44

Just googled...tis a havanese/Yorkshire terrier cross wink

CalamityKate Wed 24-Apr-13 09:58:07

I had to google too.

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 10:12:31

Thank you all. I was worried about small dog syndrome, and did think training would be the same as for any dog, but wanted to check first.

I think I'll give clicker training a go, I have heard good things about it, but I've never done it before. Are there any good books or online tutorials anyone can recommend?

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 10:25:03

Kikopup on YouTube is great.

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 10:28:28

Thanks. I'll look that up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now