Talk

Advanced search

Havashire Terrier training recommendations.

(11 Posts)
FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 00:22:49

We have just been given a 10 week old male Havashire Terrier unexpectedly. DP and I have only previously had larger dogs so are wondering if there are any training programmes which work well with bouncy little fluffballs like this?

For anyone that's wondering, he is a gorgeous little ball of black fur with a tiny white tuft on his chest smile

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 00:53:38

Anyone?

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 08:11:49

Any training method that promotes positive force free training would be fine.

tabulahrasa Wed 24-Apr-13 09:01:36

What's a Havashire terrier?

Clicker training's good, but I don't really see why training a small dog is any different to a big one. smile

CalamityKate Wed 24-Apr-13 09:12:49

A dog is a dog, largely.

Training is training.

fanoftheinvisibleman Wed 24-Apr-13 09:37:46

As someone with a small breed puppy I'd say it is exactly the same. I think treating them differently as how you end up with so called small dog syndrome.

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 09:44:44

Just googled...tis a havanese/Yorkshire terrier cross wink

CalamityKate Wed 24-Apr-13 09:58:07

I had to google too.

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 10:12:31

Thank you all. I was worried about small dog syndrome, and did think training would be the same as for any dog, but wanted to check first.

I think I'll give clicker training a go, I have heard good things about it, but I've never done it before. Are there any good books or online tutorials anyone can recommend?

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 10:25:03

Kikopup on YouTube is great.

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 24-Apr-13 10:28:28

Thanks. I'll look that up smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: