Talk

Advanced search

Dog licking cat's face?

(8 Posts)
Pizdets Tue 23-Apr-13 16:19:45

My pup is now 8 months old and has settled in brilliantly. He's dinky and we also have 2 huge cats, so they're all about the same size. Occasionally he chases the cats and they put him in his place with a bat round the ears, but mostly they tolerate each other pretty well.

I noticed recently that the dog likes to lick the face of the cat he's most friendly with. It's almost aggressive licking - he gets right up in the cat's face and licks him while jumping around. The cat doesn't love it and usually just walks off after a few seconds. I wondered what it means - is it affection or could it just be another way of him asserting himself?

Neither cats nor I bothered about it, by the way, just interested to see if anyone else has this or knows about it!

Cheers,

Piz

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 17:38:26

My first thought was licking food off his lips? But dog's licking is a sign of affection and greeting.

Moominsarehippos Tue 23-Apr-13 17:39:31

I thought cat food too!

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 17:41:36

Dogs also love eating cats' poo < yucky face>.

Moominsarehippos Tue 23-Apr-13 17:45:31

Then they come and give you a big, slobbery 'kiss'. Remember that next time the dog gives you a lick!

Pizdets Tue 23-Apr-13 18:27:09

Ha! Dog is v strictly trained not to either eat poo or kiss faces as I agree, it's gross.
Not sure it's food as he tends to lick eyes/ears (plus rarely any food hanging around spare in our house). Would love it if it was affection like digerd suggests, I love the idea they're all buddies now...

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 20:33:16

Ah. licking ears. That is also a caring and nurtering/cleaning trait.

My new little dog after a few weeks, took a liking to one of her stuffed toys. It has floppy ears and began by wagging her tail and licking his ears, with great pleasure and affection. The inner side of the ears as if she was cleaning them.
Few weeks later she began to hump this same toy every time we got back from her walks, in an excited to see it manner. Not in a dominating way.

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 20:35:29

its ears

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now