Talk

Advanced search

Maltese piddling

(7 Posts)
Caulkhead Tue 23-Apr-13 11:01:20

At our wit's end. Our 2.5 yr old Maltese girl is widdling round the house. She is quite a dominant personality, and we have had her spayed 2 months ago. Despite this, she still humps her bedding (wonder she hasn't slipped a disc) and sneaks off to widdle in certain places around the house.

Have sluiced areas with brown malt vinegar, tried crate training ... am at work so not there to handle training myself, which means delegating walks to family/family helper. Aargh any tips/suggestions?

MrsClown1 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:17:47

Is your garden blocked off? I have a toy poodle who used to wee around the house until he learned how to use the cat flap - never done it again!

By the by, I had a Maltese called Pip when I was a little girl and he was adorable. Mind you, he used to wee in the house too and my mother was always threatening him with the dogs home! She never took him though. Wonderful breed.

Caulkhead Tue 23-Apr-13 12:38:06

The garden is secure, unfortunately we can't put a dog flap in. It's so sad as she's a poppet, but the piddling is really getting me down. I just haven't the energy to keep clearing up after her and it's driving me mad! I was wondering about getting puppy training mats and putting one of those down in the hope she'd just go to the one place, do you think that might work?

Floralnomad Tue 23-Apr-13 12:45:45

Has she ever been clean in the house , if not then you need to go back to basics with the house training ,if she was reliably clean then you should get the vet to check there is no physical cause. I wouldn't put pads down as surely that just gives a mixed message about it being acceptable to pee indoors.

Lilcamper Tue 23-Apr-13 12:47:13

Spaying can actually cause incontinence sometimes. Try using bio wash liquid diluted to clean up any puddles because it completely removes the smell.

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 18:08:10

I've had my little dog 3.5 months. She is 2.5 years-old. I put newspaper down at the hidden part of the kitchen, which is where she did it at first.
I take her for 30 minute walks morning, afternoon and at 7pm.
I have left her alone for 2.5 hours 2 days a week, and she has never done anything then. It was always in the night.

She is in season atm, but for 3 weeks before then she began to hump her teddy when getting back from her walk. I was hoping that would stop after she is spayed. Also, this morning she had done a wee on the newspaper, but she must be on heat atm as she presented herself to an enormous neutered dog yesterday!!
Otherwise she has been dry in the house for weeks now.

3 months ago when I first took her along the popular dag walks, I noticed she weed every few seconds, like a male. So doesn't empty her full bladder all at once like all my other females had done.

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 18:09:31

oops dog walks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now