Talk

Advanced search

Puppy hates crate...

(11 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Tue 23-Apr-13 07:48:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tabulahrasa Tue 23-Apr-13 09:01:13

You can't expect him to like it if he's left in it so infrequently...you need to crate train him, not just stick him in there for 2 hours. 2 hours isn't a short period of time for a puppy, it can take weeks to crate train a dog who isn't used to using one.

Crate training

SilverBellsandCockleShells Tue 23-Apr-13 09:03:57

He needs to be doing all his sleeping in the crate, including overnight, not on your bed! Now he feels you are chucking him in a cage occasionally and abandoning him, not that the crate is his safe place.

HormonalHousewife Tue 23-Apr-13 09:10:17

If you are letting him sleep on your bed then expecting hime to sleep in a crate then you are sending the poor thing mixed messages. Make your choice now and stick with it crate all the way

Ignore your neighbours they are probably just making it up to make you feel guilty ! He probably did whine for a bit but for 2 whole hours ???

finickypinickity Tue 23-Apr-13 09:29:12

We collected our pup on Sunday morning and spent all day playing with him whilst he was able to go in and out of the crate. He had lunch, tea and supper plus treats and toys and new cosy bed so it should be heaven for him. We put him in to sleep Sunday night and he was horrified and howled and whined on and off all night which we expected. I didnt get up with him until 6am and spent all day yesterday doing exactly the same except he took himself off to his crate when tired and we left the door open so he could come and go as he pleased. Last night he had his last pee at 10, took himself off to bed and we didnt hear a peep until i got up at 6 again. The crate was locked up over night and he wasnt remotely bothered. Its a labour of love if you want your pup crate trained and we are lucky because we knew that he had enough bladder control over night to know that his whining wasnt toilet related but even i am suprised how quickly he hasnt taken to it. We were prepered to suffer for a good couple of weeks so a lot of this is luck!
If you want it to work then stick to one method of training and dont let him sleep on your bedgrin

MrsWolowitz Tue 23-Apr-13 10:05:41

HindsightisaMarvellousThing Tue 23-Apr-13 10:19:08

Crate training didn't work for us either, mainly because we have 2 older dogs and the puppy did not want to be separated from them.

The puppy also managed to get her jaw wedged in the crate bars as well. So we don't bother with a crate now, just shut all the dogs up in the utility room when I need to go out for an hour or so. Can you do this?

Floralnomad Tue 23-Apr-13 11:37:25

Please don't ignore your neighbours ,its perfectly feasible that he whined for the whole time ,my neighbours dog has been known to bark all day when left ! Ditch the crate and just leave him in a room where he can do minimal damage .

MrsWolowitz Tue 23-Apr-13 11:41:35

tabulahrasa Tue 23-Apr-13 11:45:03

I think you need to either use the crate properly or not at all (which sounds all stern and telly offy, but you know what I mean).

I think as well while he's little you need to leave him more...just so that it's normal, leave him where you're planning to leave him when you go out and go outside for five minutes occasionally, then 10, then nip to the shop - that sort of thing, so that it''s not just a sudden disappearance when you do have to leave him for an hour or so.

Booboostoo Tue 23-Apr-13 14:54:37

You shouldn't have any problems using both a crate and allowing your dog on the bed, I have done this with 5 dogs.

However, it sounds like you need to take longer over crate training. Feed all his meals and chews in the crate and have the crate in the room you are in with the door open all day long. Encourage him to enter the crate and reward him for being in there. If he seems very happy with that start leaving the room when he is in hid crate and reward him for staying in it. Closing him in the crate for two hours alone may be too much for him at this stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now