Talk

Advanced search

can someone please shut my dog up?

(21 Posts)
headlesslambrini Mon 22-Apr-13 19:59:38

it's that loud, it's hurting my ears. She has had 2 walks since 4ish and is constantly barking. Not barking at anything in particular, just right down my ears.

Please help

UnChartered Mon 22-Apr-13 20:00:47

does your dog normally bark for no reason?

kittysmile Mon 22-Apr-13 20:03:06

Good question!
uhm, I would recommend that depending on the situation you react - but I think we all would need more details to help you!

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Mon 22-Apr-13 20:05:17

Squirty bottle of water and squirt when he barks unnecessarily. I put a couple of drops of lavender oil in it too, so it smells nice.

headlesslambrini Mon 22-Apr-13 20:08:00

she has been known to bark at DH for attention. Just can't determine a reason why. She is not in pain, not that type of bark. She usually barks when someone goes past the house and we are working on that.

what do I do to shut her up?

UnChartered Mon 22-Apr-13 20:11:50

maybe she just wants attention then

has she been home alone at all?

Lilcamper Mon 22-Apr-13 20:13:09

Please don't squirt water at her!

headlesslambrini Mon 22-Apr-13 20:21:44

she's a springer spaniel so if I squirt water then she'll probably think its a game grin

She is starting to quieten now can't work out why she was barking

headlesslambrini Mon 22-Apr-13 20:22:26

On second thoughts, would it be OK to squirt water at DH instead? grin

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Mon 22-Apr-13 21:11:25

Why not, lilcamper?

needastrongone Mon 22-Apr-13 21:21:23

I think it's better to reward the behaviour you do want rather than punish the behaviour you don't.

So, when your dog is calm and quiet, click and treat or praise or treat, whatever method you use. You can also teach a command to bark, then don't use the command. Better to understand the reason behind the barking though first.

We have an almost silent springer btw!!!

TheCunnyFunt Tue 23-Apr-13 10:31:29

Try this, it's a Kikopup video.

imour Wed 24-Apr-13 07:40:45

squirting water at the dog every time she barks for no reason indoors does work , even on a springer .

GibberTheMonkey Wed 24-Apr-13 07:47:12

This is one of those situations where its really difficult to reward the good behaviour and for the dog to understand why it's being rewarded.
I know as we've been struggling with it.

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 08:07:39

Squirting water at a dog is an aversive training tool, as are rattle bottles and anti bark collars. Using these can damage any trust in your relationship with your dog. Far better to distract and teach them a behaviour you DO want.

GibberTheMonkey Wed 24-Apr-13 08:10:29

So what do you advise?

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 08:19:02

Teach them a 'speak' cue, then teach them a 'quiet' one. Lots of rewards when they get it right, ignore when they get it wrong.

GibberTheMonkey Wed 24-Apr-13 08:27:20

Mine can do speak
Quiet, she has never grasped

But then she's never grasped not running off either

Never getting another rescue dog even though our first was a star you can't help what you inherit.

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 08:54:06

Regardless of where a dog came from, he/she can be taught using the correct type of consistent training. Check out the Pet Professional Guild or the APDT for a good trainer in your area.

mrslaughan Wed 24-Apr-13 09:01:13

I think this is where you need to decide what sort of training techniques you are happy to use - its abit like parenting.
This board (I feel) is dominated by those that feel aversive training is terrible.
My grandfather trained working dogs his whole life, they had to work to earn their keep, his training methods were mostly positive, but they knew who was boss, and he wouldn't have hesitated to make it clear that some behaviour was unacceptable (like nipping at livestock) - he wouldn't have ever beaten them - let's get that clear, but he would have laughed at the thought that you only use positive techniques.
Like parenting you need to decide what will work with your family.

Lilcamper Wed 24-Apr-13 09:09:05

Positive training is based on the science of how dogs learn, it doesn't mean they aren't given boundaries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now