Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bearded collies?

(11 Posts)
iloveblue Mon 15-Apr-13 17:09:18

Hello everyone

We have been thinking about getting a dog for several years and finally think it is the right time.
I've done lots of research - getting to the point where I am going round in circles.
We have small house and a small garden but have two large fields within 5 minutes walk. We also have a house rabbit. I've spoken to several breeders who have said that this rules out any kind of terrier or hound.
I've been looking mainly at the Pastorals - and particularly love the thought of an Old English Sheepdog or Bearded Collie. I know they require daily grooming and exercise which I am prepared for.

We dont have a car - and the dog will come everywhere with us - bus/train etc.

I have looked at our local rescues and will continue to do so - but have read that it would be better to have a puppy with the house rabbit.

Would love some advice as I'm starting to drive myself a bit loopy smile

TIA

digerd Mon 15-Apr-13 21:12:58

With a house rabbit - a puppy would be best, or you choose a non-sporting/hunting small dog breed from the TOY group.
It would be very risky and unfair to bring an adult Pastural dog into a household with a house rabbit.

ggirl Mon 15-Apr-13 21:17:01

Best to speak to a breeder of OE and Beardies .
we had a Beardie..they are wonderful pets , miss her terribly.
Yes to a puppy if you have a rabbit in the house.

ggirl Mon 15-Apr-13 21:20:40

I would also advise asking beardie breeders (if you decide to get a puppy) about Discoid Lupus Erythematosus in the line, my beardie had this as did another I knew.

heididrink Tue 16-Apr-13 11:39:41

I have a bearded collie whos is now 2years old. They are fantastic dogs but require a lot of free running exercise plus mental stimulation . My dog is only quieting down a bit now but the first 2 years have been hard. My bearded collie was from a working farm and her need to herd and run free has been very strong.
Having said that she is very intelligent can understand most of what I say and is extremely loyal and affectionate. She can however be nervous of loud noises or sudden movement.
HTH

Callisto Tue 16-Apr-13 12:56:08

Rather than a specific breed, why not ask your local rescue to match you to a suitable puppy that needs a home? I don't believe that a hound/terrier puppy will immediately kill your rabbit. A puppy introduced to another animal is usually shown what to do by their parent - in this case you. If you say the rabbit is a friend the puppy will treat it that way. I've had two ex-racing greyhounds both of whom happily lived with cats and chickens, despite wanting to kill them on sight when they first arrived.

As for bearded collies - the only two I've known had really nasty natures. Vicious with other dogs, and increasingly dodgy with people. One of them was pts due to being so aggressive. Both of these dogs were owned by doggy people and had loads of exercise and stimulation.

iloveblue Tue 16-Apr-13 18:01:49

Thank-you for all the suggestions and advice. smile

BinarySolo Wed 17-Apr-13 07:54:59

Springer spaniel might be good. Similar energy level to a beardie but with our the drive to heard. I have 2, one it rather preditory, but I also grew up with a springer that mothered my rabbit and guinea pigs. Really depends on the dog and how it's raised, although certain breeds maybe more likely to go for small animals.

That said, I've seen a jack Russell herding ducks with no aggression whatsoever.

topbannana Wed 17-Apr-13 16:40:34

My SiL has an OES who is magnificent (though not a fan myself i can appreciate a well cared for dog of any breed)
You say you are aware of the need for daily grooming, I would say that to maintain the dog in her fantastic condition goes way beyond "daily grooming" SiL thoroughly enjoys the time spent grooming but her children have left home so she has time on her hands. If you are time poor then it is well worth finding out exactly how much time you will have to devote to the task grin

idirdog Wed 17-Apr-13 17:02:06

If you like barking Beardies are the dogs for you!

iloveblue Thu 18-Apr-13 17:46:31

Thankyou everyone. Lots of good advice to chew on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now