Talk

Advanced search

Going away for w/e? Am I being to precious?

(17 Posts)
thwinka Mon 15-Apr-13 16:23:06

I am fully prepared for a flaming if I am being to preciousgrin but would just like honest opinions please. My partner would like to go away for the weekend to a Haven family caravan park but the friends/family who would usually have our dog are unable to this weekend. This means we would have to take him with us if we went but I am worried sick about him being stolen. I don't think the caravans are secure and think it would be very easy to break in and take him if someone liked the look of him. He is a small dog, so couldn't fight back and is stunning looking(he gets ALOT of attention when we are out with him) so I think my concerns are valid that he would be a target if dog thieves are in the area.
My partner thinks I am being ridiculous and can't believe that I want to give up the chance of a w/e away and thinks that he will be perfectly safe. In all fairness,I do see lots of other people with their dogs in these caravan parks.
Am I just being precious/OTT? My friend had her lovely yorkshire Terrier stolen from her garden a few years ago so realise my fears may stem from that, but just wondered what other posters would do? Thankyou

Machli Mon 15-Apr-13 16:31:26

I honestly think it would be fine.

Wouldn't he be out and about with you most of the time anyway?

UnChartered Mon 15-Apr-13 16:33:21

why would he be locked in the caravan for any length of time, anyway?

Scuttlebutter Mon 15-Apr-13 16:40:36

It's not unreasonable to be concerned about dog thieves - for instance, I would NEVER leave my dog unattended outside a shop. However, a caravan park is much lower risk.

Things you can do to reduce risk include making sure your dog is spayed/neutered and microchipped - and make sure their tags say this. Ensure you have good quality photographs of them and you can preload their details on to Doglost website (a sensible thing to do in any case). Doglost is brilliant and can ensure your dog's details go nationwide within minutes of it being lost or stolen.

I would go ahead, but be sensible and keep him with you as much as possible.

DoingTheSwanThing Mon 15-Apr-13 16:49:32

Sounds fine, but I wouldn't like to leave mine unattended however briefly for fear of them chewing something... Or weeing... Or worse (even though they're fine at home).

thwinka Mon 15-Apr-13 16:50:45

He wouldn't be locked in the caravan for great lengths of time. He would be with us for about 80% of the time,but we can't take him with us for activities inside of the complex such as the swimming and the childrens entertainment in the evening. So we're talking about 90 mins in the morning and about 3 1/2 hours in the evening. We could leave the evening entertainment but then thats part of the holiday. I would be checking on him every 30 mins but still feel uneasy.
Thanks scuttlebutter, I didn't realize you could pre-load your dogs details on to doglost, will do that anyway whether we go or notsmile

thwinka Mon 15-Apr-13 16:53:09

He is crate trained, so would be in that,so no worries about him chewing or weeing etcgrin We daren't take him to stay anywhere without his beloved crate. He would never forgivegrin

UnChartered Mon 15-Apr-13 16:54:12

he'll be fine then, enjoy your break smile

DeepRedBetty Mon 15-Apr-13 16:57:33

With deep respect I do think you're being a bit paranoid. If the dog is in a crate in a securely locked caravan, he'll be as safe as anything else you've left in there. I do understand your fear after your friend's dog was taken - but don't forget that was out of her garden - a much easier theft job than breaking into a home. Those holiday caravans do have proper doors and windows with proper locks.

Mutt Mon 15-Apr-13 17:08:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1MitchellMum Mon 15-Apr-13 17:23:36

I too am paranoid! How about a padlock for his crate to give you extra peace of mind?

almostanotherday Mon 15-Apr-13 17:25:08

I would check with where you will be staying but when I was inquiring about bringing our dog it was under the rules that the dog was never left alone in the caravan.

thwinka Mon 15-Apr-13 17:37:33

Thankyousmile Looks like I'm being a little precious thengrin I wasn't really concerned about other people on their holidays. More about dog thieves coming on site to see whats thereblush but can see that maybe I'm worrying a bit to much due to what happened to my poor friends dog.
mitchellmum Glad I'm not the only paranoid dog owner. Padlocks had already been discussed!! Its at this point that my partner said I was being ridiculousgrin

milkybarsrus Tue 16-Apr-13 11:09:20

If you are on site in the evening and daytime, then just pop back at odd times so that if someone is watching (which I highly doubt) they would be put off from breaking in to the caravan. Also, a caravan site usually has a security gate and reception, so i really think its unlikely that someone would deliberately come in and take your dog. Try to enjoy the weekend, if having him with you will mean you don't, then think of someone else to look after your pooch.

FragileTitanium Tue 16-Apr-13 11:43:21

I think it will be fine. You shouldn't miss a holiday from worry about your dog. If you really won't be able to relax, put your doggy in a kennel for the weekend. Good luck.

Owllady Tue 16-Apr-13 12:35:20

well i think you sound lovely grin is this your precious first born dog? wink

fwiw I am a bit a bit of fusspot about my animals and I think my dh thinks I am a bit ridiculous. I even missed the chickens when I went on holiday last year blush I took the dog with me

thwinka Tue 16-Apr-13 14:10:20

Thankyou for the reassurence!! owllady Thankyougrin Yes he is my precious first born dog, sat here cuddled up on my lap as we speak!! My mother in law is having him now as she has swapped her work shift so I no longer have to bring him with us and worry about the caravangrin grin Husband is dissapointed,think he wanted to prove a point!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now