Talk

Advanced search

Bumsucking.

(7 Posts)
MakeItUpAsYouGoAlong Mon 15-Apr-13 09:39:26

I apologise for my awful thread title firstly!
I have a parsons terrier, who is my baby BUT he's had awful anal gland problems all his life, he's now 4.
I take them to be done around every two months and we have had the odd infection and antibiotics. It's not serious enough to warrant them being taken out.
Here is my problem, it's now become habit for him to bum suck which involves him chewing the base of his tail and bum util it's sore and weepy.
We keep an eye on him in the house but as soon as either me or my father leave him it goes mad.
Dad has today gone to work and upon realising he has gone the bum sucking has go ne to another level.
As I have had him two years a behaviourist and a vet have told me it could now be a habit as his previous owners never sorted his glands out. It's now a comfort thing for his anxiety, like some dogs chew their paws.
I've been trying everything from nasty tasting creams, more vet visits, more walks and am now considering a cone Coller in the house.
Please please tell me mumsnetters can you think of any other ideas to break his habit? Apart from having him stitched to me!!!
It's definatly not a anal gland issue at present.

HousewifeFromHeaven Mon 15-Apr-13 09:41:54

grin

How about a pair of dog pants?

MakeItUpAsYouGoAlong Mon 15-Apr-13 10:00:08

I'm considering DDs size 3 nappies!!! grin

BinarySolo Mon 15-Apr-13 10:05:15

Sorry if this is obvious, but do you leave him with a toy of some sort to distract him?

Stuffed kongs and busta cubes are excellent distraction toys. You could also try a bubble machine with special bacon flavoured bubbles for interactive fun. Maybe leaving the radio on or a dap plug in would help relieve anxiety too.

MakeItUpAsYouGoAlong Mon 15-Apr-13 10:19:29

We do all that, he just sulks and chews. He's never left alone at all there is always someone with him.
He will quite happily be playing and then start sucking.
He's been flead too smile

BinarySolo Mon 15-Apr-13 18:32:07

I guess you could go the opposite route and use a spray collar/bottle each time he goes for his bum!

MakeItUpAsYouGoAlong Mon 15-Apr-13 19:04:03

Good idea- he hates spray bottles!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now