Talk

Advanced search

Yahoo groups........dog shows

(11 Posts)
hennipenni Sat 13-Apr-13 13:56:56

Does anybody know the name of any groups that lists fun and companion dog shows including dates, location etc? I know such groups exist but being a technophobe I can't find them!

we want to show our cocker but he's too nervous to go into breed shows etc as he can't stand to be touched by other people other than family etc but he's ready confidence wise to try fun/companion shows.

thank you xx

toboldlygo Sat 13-Apr-13 14:14:47

He will almost certainly be touched in even companion dog shows, especially the pedigree classes - the last few I went to checked teeth (though did ask first if I'd rather do that for them) and ran hands down head, shoulders and hindquarters. One had a feel for (non existent) testicles which I hadn't thought to prepare him for. If it's a KC licensed companion show the judge will be a proper accredited one used to/expecting to handle show dogs in this manner.

A good place to start is the schedules of your nearest agricultural/county/village shows, they invariably have a dog show. smile

idirdog Sat 13-Apr-13 14:39:55

find a dog show

KC companion dog shows 2013

You will need to work on his fear of being touched though

saintmerryweather Sat 13-Apr-13 14:54:40

A good place to start would be ringcraft classes. there are lots of them about and your dog will be handled by lots of different people (obviously practice at home first). Most judges at any dog show want to see a happy confident dog, so i would try working on his nervousness at any rate

issey6cats Sat 13-Apr-13 15:19:31

if they still sell it dogs world paper is a good source of exemption dog shows adverts in the paper look for local ones

hennipenni Sat 13-Apr-13 17:09:20

Thankyou for your replies, we do already go to ringcraft classes and we were told there that in exemption classes he wouldn't be touched by the judge if we asked for him not to be, we just want to enter the fun classes like waggiest tail, most handsome dog etc to try to boost his confidence. The hope is that eventually with all the work that we are putting in at ring craft and with our behaviourist we will have a dog who is comfortable and happy to be shown. If it doesn't work or he becomes to stressed with it all we will find something else to do like agility etc.He is young still so fingers crossed he will gain the confidence needed.

saintmerryweather Sat 13-Apr-13 17:37:39

They do still sell dog world paper and our dogs, my mum buys them every week. i could ha e a look in there for you?

I found that taking my nervous dog to agility helped her no end, might be worth dog that anyway? She had a lot more confidence!

saintmerryweather Sat 13-Apr-13 17:43:45

Ive just had a look in this weeks papers and there are 2 listings for companion shows the rest are open and champ shows.

hennipenni Sun 14-Apr-13 10:33:17

thanks for the offer stmerryweather, we're going to have a look around a large show next weekend with him so should be able to pick them up them. We will look at agility classes for him when he's a little older.

saintmerryweather Sun 14-Apr-13 16:11:58

I would have a look before you buy them theyre 2.20 each and like i say there were onlg 1 or 2 listings for companion shows, both around milton keynes. maybe your local paper or 'wherecanwego' website might be a better bet especially now spring is here

Scuttlebutter Sun 14-Apr-13 23:36:03

There are masses of groups on FB that list info on fun and charity shows. I would also simply google "dog shows YOUR COUNTY" - that will almost certainly pull up a list. Also check your local rescues - nearly all will have at least one show over the summer months. There's also a list on the KC website.

Just a note of caution - we've actually returned today from a Companion Show. Took two of our greyhounds and two nephews - had a damp but lovely day. Judge spent a lot of time with each dog and there was a great deal of touching, even for Most handsome dog. Waggy tail is pretty much the only one where they won't touch. Even with beautiful eyes, they will touch the head to have a look, very often. We do masses of fun shows, and I also help organise them, steward and even occasionally judge - I can say that for every time i've done so, I've expected to touch a dog as part of the judging process. If a competitor asked me not to, of course I'd respect this, but I'd really be wondering what on earth they were doing there, unless the dog was recovering from a specific injury on a particular part of the body for instance. The only exception might be the Best Rescue Class, where you will often hear harrowing stories of neglect and abuse.

And even if the judge doesn't touch your dog, you will often get strangers, including small DC who will come up and stroke your dogs, or stand next to them at very close quarters. We usually leave a couple at home, precisely because they are not bombproof. Today for instance several small DC came up and stroked our dogs before we had time to gently usher them away, and we also had a couple of people with other sighthounds who came up for a good look and touch. Completely normal at a show. When you are waiting to enter the ring for instance - especially with classes like Junior Handler - the area round the ring will be a seething and slightly anarchic mass of excited dogs, excited children, proud relatives and a harassed steward trying to maintain order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now