Talk

Advanced search

english bull terrier skin problems

(6 Posts)
grohlgirl Sat 13-Apr-13 00:43:42

Hi can anyone help with out rescued bully? He has developed bald patches (they don't bother him) He has mainly wainwrights to eat, he is castrated and has plenty of exercise. The vets answer was lifelong steroids
Any ideas out there?

DoesItWearingWellies Sat 13-Apr-13 02:10:01

Is he itchy? Are the bald spots red, inflamed, weepy or flaky? Does he smell? Is it seasonal? Is he up to date with flea treatment?

There are many things it could be - did the vet say what they thought it was?

Our dog has a form of hayfever that displays as dermatitis and wet eczema and is prone to fungal skin infections, but if we catch it early enough by bathing him with a medicated shampoo (Malaseb) it clears it up. It was thought at one point our dog would need life long steroids too, but luckily he hasn't needed them.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 13-Apr-13 09:39:39

Have the vets discussed allergy testing? EBTs very commonly have multiple allergies and yeast infections too and then get secondary infections.

grohlgirl Sat 13-Apr-13 10:48:39

He was very smelly when we first got him home but we thought it was because he'd been kept outside in his old home He was diagnosed with a yeast infection and has had treatment for it, skin scrapings came back negative. His bald patches aren't itchy or flaky just bald! We fed him on Pedigree at first, he had dried food before when they bothered to feed him - I'm thinking it could be a wheat/cereal allergy because it's been a lot better since he's been on wainwrights and his fish oil.

DoesItWearingWellies Mon 15-Apr-13 02:11:03

I was going to suggest hemp seed oil, but see you're giving him fish oil grin

The bald patches could be a result of his yeast infection (which could also be why he smelled as it can be whiffy - a bit like stale rich tea biscuits mixed with the water from over-cooked peas is the best way I can think of describing it!) Did the patches develop after he'd been given the all-clear?
I'd be inclined to continue as you are, restricting wheat/cereals and supplementing with omega oils, and see if the hair grows back. It can take a while, and as long as there are no other signs of either infection or irritation I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, as it should be getting warmer and more sunny, make sure he doesn't get sunburn on his bald patches - zinc sticks used by cricketers and surfers are safe for dogs and are a great sunblock.

DoesItWearingWellies Mon 15-Apr-13 02:17:21

I forgot an important bit - zinc sticks are safe for dogs as long as they don't lick it off, so if it's an area where he's likely to be able to lick then a sunblock containing pure titanium dioxide is preferred.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now