Talk

Advanced search

Do I turn a blind eye?

(15 Posts)
Thumbtack Thu 11-Apr-13 10:24:21

My dog and I have a secret. She sleeps on the sofa when noones looking.
I go to bed around 10pm and I can hear her climb on the sofa, my dp works late so gets home around 2am, and she always climbs off just before he gets back (so he doesnt know the extent of this sordid affair) she then resettles sometime in the night after he goes to bed, because I catch her fast asleep, all cozy in the morning . .

so . . . she knows I know

And when my dp occasionally catches her and sends her back to her own bed, I have to feign shock and say ' oh no, she's not on the sofa, is she? how strange!'

she now doesnt bother guiltily (sp?) getting off the sofa when i get up in the morning as she knows I'm not bothered . . So do i turn a blind eye to this unruly behaviour as she is an old girl enjoying a comfy rest or do I fess up to my partner that she does it all the time and try and bring back some order to the household??

I'd keep it between you and the dog. But then I'm a total softy grin

Heinz55 Thu 11-Apr-13 10:30:09

When I was a teen my parents had a dog who was clever like yours. They'd be out for the evening and she'd come upstairs and snuggle up on my bed. As soon as she heard the gate opening she's be downstairs stretched out on the floor with her eyes closed as if she'd been there ALL night! I think your dear old girl deserves the respect to carry on the charade for your DP. Can't teach an old dog new tricks (ha!) and all that!!

Thumbtack Thu 11-Apr-13 10:53:14

You do realise your both condoning my charge of being an 'accesory to flagrant sofa sleeping' . . . !

Actually the whole being part of the secret makes me smile, but it IS hard to keep a straight face when my thinks its a one off incident . . .

Thumbtack Thu 11-Apr-13 10:55:08

my *dp

SpicyPear Thu 11-Apr-13 18:16:53

I agree with keeping it quiet. Justthink how sad she'll be if you let on ypurliytle secret and start turfing her off again sad

grin

Thumbtack Thu 11-Apr-13 20:59:11

Okay that settles it, it shall be our little secret! I don't have the heart to turf her off, nor sneak on her . .

poorpaws Fri 12-Apr-13 00:09:14

I think it depends on who is your absolute favourite, dp or the dog.

For me a dog would win over a partner any time. Don't let that dog down by telling. smile

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 12-Apr-13 00:18:51

My DBil has a favourite story of when he was house-sitting for us. He came back from the pub and could see through the gap in the curtains that MyDog was on the sofa. He made a bit of noise on the gravel, MyDog heard him and jumped down from the sofa and went to lay in his basket. He went in and glared and my dog apparently looked guilty. grin

BOF Fri 12-Apr-13 00:22:16

You should submit this to a university as proof of dogs having a Theory Of Mind grin

I believe they do, btw.

dopeysheep Fri 12-Apr-13 00:26:59

Your dp knows full well she sleeps on the sofa. He is pretending not to so he won't have to admit it's ok and the dog has won.
You all know everything!

dopeysheep Fri 12-Apr-13 00:28:38

The 'occasional catching' and sending back to the basket is simple face saving which your dog has agreed to.

pigsDOfly Fri 12-Apr-13 14:25:05

Oh I love this. You know, she knows you know, you know she knows you know.

It's such a small sin and I bet she loves you all the more for it.

I'm a terrible softie over this sort of thing though. My, admittedly, small dog is asleep on the sofa now and sleeps on my bed at night (I know).

Aliensstolemychildren Fri 12-Apr-13 14:46:46

It has long been a manifest belief of mine that dogs are here for a short time on this earth and should sample all the earthly pleasures given to humans (except alcohol and chocolate). However I live in a house where my DH has suggested that maybe he might spend the odd night on the sofa to give the dogs more room on the bed!

Keep it your little secret - we all deserve a little comfort wink

Thumbtack Fri 12-Apr-13 16:17:29

It's a unanimous vote to stay on sofa then! Yay! (big thud of tail going in the background)

Dopeysheep - saving face bit, very true!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now