Talk

Advanced search

Am i Mental?

(6 Posts)
SparklyVampire Thu 11-Apr-13 08:00:38

We found out recently that my babies breathing problems were down to been allergic to the dog, we tried keeping her fur short, hovering every hour, baby still ill.
We had no choice but to give the dog away, but now I can't stop crying. I feel like someone died, I just want her back so badly.. She was a lovely dog and id had her since she was 6 weeks old. I know the rescue centre will find her a good home, I just feel so rotten and guilty that it has had to come to this.
Are these over the top emotions i'm feeling normal, or as the title says am I mental?

ILikeToClean Thu 11-Apr-13 14:33:26

You poor thing, of course you are not mental. A dog is part of the family and you had her from a baby, unfortunately your real life baby has to come first, and this is something you could not have predicted would happen. It is totally normal to feel so upset but I am sure she will find a good home. I feel for you, had my puppy 3 weeks and would be devastated to part with him. Don't feel guilty, there is nothing else you could have done, I am sure you will feel better in time. Will the rescue update you with where she goes etc? That might make you feel better to know when she has gone off to somewhere else? Sorry x

mummycowp Sun 14-Apr-13 20:19:42

You are not mental. I had a puppy for 24 hours and cried my eyes out for days and got upset when I thought of her for months. We now have another puppy which we have had for 11 days and I would be devastated if we had to part xx

LastMangoInParis Sun 14-Apr-13 23:36:32

Not mental at all, parting with a dog is terrible.
You've definitely done the best thing for the dog and DD - so definitely not mental.
And now there's all this scientific evidence about bonding with dogs. oxytocin release, and all - so we're all connected to our dogs chemically, so no wonder you're crying your eyes out. So definitely not mental on that front either!
But most importantly, you've done the right thing, best for DD and dog.
I do feel for you, though.
brew and thanks
and wine too, if it helps, x

Doodledumdums Mon 15-Apr-13 00:00:36

You are totally not mental! I would feel exactly the same. You poor poor thing. Dogs are a huge part of the family.

We had to rehome one of our cats a few months ago because our dog was allergic to her, and he kept being poorly. Since she has gone our dog has been so much better, so we definitely did the right thing, and you have too. The rescue centre will take great care of him until they can find him a perfect home. Maybe you could ask them to keep you up to date with how he is doing?

Please don't feel guilty, this wasn't your fault, and your DD has to come first, you have nothing to feel guilty about. Hopefully if you are able to track his progress then you will feel better.flowers

MrsWolowitz Mon 15-Apr-13 00:09:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now