Talk

Advanced search

My dog doesn't like men???

(11 Posts)
Maisiemoo13 Tue 09-Apr-13 23:32:31

Hi my one year old female Labrador doesn't like men, not all men , she has no issues with the men in the family that have always been around but it's 50/50 with any males she encounters , when she has decided she dislikes them she barks at them constantly and just appears to be scared I know it's not aggressive but it does sound that way. she doesn't come around to them either I usually have to remove her from the situation as she is very stressed , one example was my uncle visiting from out of town she freaked out and he tried to calm her but when he spoke she was even worse!.
I really don't know what to do with her to help her get past t as I have no idea what it stems from as we have had her since the day she was born , we have her mum who had a litter and there all in the family, one of the other puppies is same with new people which is strange to me as her mum loves everyone! And so does there dad ( my friends dog )

Itsnotahoover Tue 09-Apr-13 23:36:03

Mine is the same! Fine with men she's always been around but hates "new" men for some reason! (Apart from my two gay friends which s vey bizarre lol)

No advice really, but will watch with interest smile

Blistory Tue 09-Apr-13 23:41:47

My girl became exactly the same at 8 months. She's a Bernese and has recently taking to barking instead of just shying away. Nothing that I can think of to cause it and seems completely random. Maybe 1 man out of 20.

No suggestions from me - I just walk her away or distract as she's clearly uncomfortable. If I need to stop and talk, I get them to ignore her and she seems to settle but still doesn't want the scary, freaky person to touch her. Can't work out if it's smell,sound or appearance related so difficult to avoid putting her in that position and not easy to work on.

Maisiemoo13 Tue 09-Apr-13 23:44:50

Lol strange isn't it... well I used to say she was a good judge of character when she acted this way at a builder who gave me a rather extortionate quote for a job! That was until she gave my poor uncle a hard time

Maisiemoo13 Wed 10-Apr-13 00:07:06

Yeh blistory my girl is the same , it makes her worse if they were to show or any attention , I just wish there was something I could do I have tried reassuring her , removing her from the situation hopefully an experienced dog trainer will pop by with some words of wisdom smile

poorpaws Fri 12-Apr-13 00:13:31

I don't like men either smile

BOF Fri 12-Apr-13 00:17:24

I think it is guarding behaviour from a perceived threat. I'm sure there are better experts than me who will advise you, but I'd suggest keeping her in a closed room when they visit, give the visitor a treat for the dog, and introduce them with your dog on a lead or under your control.

TheCatInTheHairnet Fri 12-Apr-13 00:26:20

Mine doesn't either. To the point he goes into meltdown, so I have to put him on leash if any men approach when we're walking on the trails. Luckily, he's only little and very obedient.

He loves everyone else though, including men he knows. When new men come into the house, we crate him before their arrival and then later, bring him out and have him sit quietly on leash until he's relaxed. We get the men to just ignore him. Once you're 'in' with him, you're fine. We do tell 'new' men that he is never going to want them to pet him, but as long as he's comfortable having them around, that's fine by me. And 8/10, he decides he DOES want them to pet him, and proves me wrong.

Decorators, plumbers, etc, I just crate him while they're here. If anyone were to break in, he would bite them. But at 12lbs and only a foot high, he isn't going to do much damage.

Maisiemoo13 Fri 12-Apr-13 09:09:24

Hahaha poorpaws!!! I hope you don't bark at them also :D

mouses Sat 13-Apr-13 15:41:27

im with the dog on this one ;-)

Lilcamper Sat 13-Apr-13 17:04:19

I wouldn't try and force her to take treats from men, but let her be what she considers to be a safe distance away and get the visitor to occasionally chuck a mega tasty treat in her direction. Eventually she will associate strange males with good things and may try and be closer. Just try not to push her over her 'threshold'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now