Talk

Advanced search

Lurcher suddenly not herself

(11 Posts)
HowAnnoying Tue 09-Apr-13 18:56:24

Fed my dog about an hour ago, left her in the garden for a bit. When I let her back in she was walking very slow, and had that worried look. She went to her bed, then got up a bit later and was still walking very slow and looking worried, I stroked her, and started feeling her body, when I got to her stomach she whimpered, there are no marks there.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

HelgatheHairy Tue 09-Apr-13 19:05:04

Could she have eaten something she shouldn't have in the garden?

Scuttlebutter Tue 09-Apr-13 19:16:30

Lurchers and greys are prone to a condition called bloat. It's very serious, and can come on quite quickly - so if she is panting, drooling, her tummy feels tight or sore or sensitive or her gums are pale she should go to the vet asap.

FiveHoursSleep Tue 09-Apr-13 19:18:51

Agree with scuttlebutter. I would consider this a potential emergency and act accordingly.

HowAnnoying Tue 09-Apr-13 19:24:04

I phoned the vet, the first hing she asked is there was any bloating or swelling, but there isn't, but her tummy feels tight, she is drinking water, hasn't been sick that I know of.

Don't think there is anything in the garden she could have eaten. The out of hours appointment fee is £117 and they don't have an appointment till 9, I'm on my own with the kids (5 and 3), I've booked in for 9 but hoping she improves over the next hour so I don't have to take her in.

FiveHoursSleep Tue 09-Apr-13 19:32:41

I hope she's okay. Please update.

HowAnnoying Tue 09-Apr-13 19:37:33

Just felt her tummy again and she didn't whimper, she asked to go out, she's now outside just stood panting and shaking. No retching tho, so I'm still hoping its not bloat, we did a long walk earlier, but left it 2 hours before feeding. I don't know if I'm making her more nervous though, cos I'm panicking.mp

Scuttlebutter Tue 09-Apr-13 19:42:58

Sorry, OP, but if she is panting and shaking you really MUST get her to the vet. Bloat can be (and often is) fatal if left untreated for even a short time.

HowAnnoying Wed 10-Apr-13 09:52:14

Hi, saw the vet last night, it's not bloat, but she is in a lot of pain in her abdomen, she gave her painkillers and I took her home. She's not happy this morning, not eating and even though she's had her painkillers (buscopan and tramadol) she seems to still be in pain. I'm not really sure what to do with her.

Floralnomad Wed 10-Apr-13 10:36:51

I'd take her back and perhaps they could scan or X-ray ,

FiveHoursSleep Wed 10-Apr-13 11:03:20

Take her back to your normal vet. It sounds like the afterhours vets provided supportive treatment and pain relief but you need to go see your own vet for a diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: