Talk

Advanced search

Colitis again. Exercise? General advice?

(14 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Tue 09-Apr-13 10:33:05

Puppy is an 11 month Golden Retriever and this is bout no. 4. Last bout was in November and after that the vet recommended he go on Hills I/d permanently. And I know it's rubbish nutritionally but it's the only thing he's EVER had solid stools on. Nothing else works - pro somethingorother, slippery elm, nothing.

Now this time round doesn't seem quite as bad as other times (mainly because he's waking me at night so he can go out and poo, other times he just pooed in the kitchen). Sunday was Day 1 and we didn't exercise him (or feed him) at all (apart from into the garden when he wanted) and he slept pretty much all day.
Yesterday he was a bit brighter and more active so we did an off- lead walk through fields and played fetch a bit. I didn't see him poo at all yesterday.
Today he had me let him out twice by 6.30 and then slept till 9.45. I offered him some of his food but he only ate a few bites.

Not sure what to do now. His normal routine is a 2.5 mile on-lead walk and 20-40 mins off- lead (split into 3 sessions usually). I don't really want to do on lead as trying to pick up runny poo in public is not good. I can do fetch and off-lead through fields. But is too much exercise bad when he's not feeling great and not eating? You'd think I'd be used to this by now but I worry every time!

MrsClown1 Tue 09-Apr-13 12:34:54

Bless you. My beloved late border collie, Sally, had ulcerative collitis. Every day I used to feed her fresh chicken and pasta shells. It was on advice from the vet and really helped keep things under control. Is that an option for you. Good luck.

BastardDog Tue 09-Apr-13 13:32:35

Have you tried Bionic Biotic? We got it from Pets at Home. It's not cheap, but lasts a good few weeks.

Our rescue dog has digestion problems as a result of his time as a stray. We tried all sorts to sort out his runny pooh. Within 3 days on the Bionic Biotic there was an improvement in his stools. His been on the Bionic Biotic for just over a week now and today he actually had to strain to go.

He also needed a full week on a bland diet of chicken and rice, followed by a very slow transition back to his normal dog food. But it was the Bionic Biotic that eventually made the difference.

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 09-Apr-13 14:13:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelgatheHairy Tue 09-Apr-13 18:31:49

Thanks all. Took him for a walk (he was asking to go, dropping his toy at my feet). He wasn't as bubbly as normal but did go flat out chasing a rabbit (didnt come close to catching it!). He was really good though, met my Dad and friend in the field and he just walked along with us and wasn't jumping on them constantly, and then sat nicely while I took a photo of him with my Dad.

Haven't seen him poo today, just been letting him into the garden whenever he wants.

Never actually tried pasta and my vet has recommended not to change anything when he's having a flare up. It's just annoying because he was doing really well to the point I was going to try changing him onto better food.

coffeeinbed Tue 09-Apr-13 18:41:02

I usually boil up chicken and rice, sorts the runny poos.
sometimes just mix half kibble and half rice.
rice must be freshly boiled though, don't want to risk food poisoning.
And take lots of kitchen roll and some antiseptic wipes for the walkies.

HelgatheHairy Wed 10-Apr-13 13:09:05

Well he didn't need to go out till 8am this morning but then there was quite a lot of poo. 3 separate piles. Took him off-lead again and he was much brighter today but when we came home he actually went and stood at the back door waiting for me to let him in. He doesn't do that normally so he was obviously pretty tired.

Bunnylion Wed 10-Apr-13 20:07:56

My 2 year old boy has had colitis on and off since he was a puppy. At times he can lose a lot of weight and is clearly very uncomfortable when it flares up. I've alway let him rest while he's not feeling well.

I have tried a lot of different foods but he's been on Lily's Kitchen for 3 months now and it's totally eliminated the problem.

Lily's is grain free so I think his gut may be allergic to grain. I've noticed before that he's had a flare up if he's stolen a piece if bread or pasta, so I 100% avoid anything not from Lily's and especially anything with flour in now.

My vet said that if I see jelly in his poo again then switch him immediately to plain cooked chicken, as this will allow his gut to rest until it recovers. I've luckily not had to do that lately.

have a look at the Lily's Kitchen website - it's very nutritious and has made our lives a lot easier so I would recommend.

Bunnylion Wed 10-Apr-13 20:09:34

PS I honestly don't work for Lily's Kitchen! smile

Nellymay Wed 10-Apr-13 23:32:55

my 11 year old lab has been on AUTARKY since he was a puppy as he got bad colitis and i was recommended this by the lady who had his brother and she has her own pet shop - its gluten free and has veggies and herbs in it. My lab is and has been for years colitis free - its so good i put our younger lab on it too.

I dont work for autarky smile

HelgatheHairy Thu 11-Apr-13 13:08:39

Right need to get looking at those foods soon. On the plus side had a solid poo today! On the minus side, threw up last night. Not sure why, the only times he's thrown up before he's been in the car. But he seems fine today so will just see how he goes.

ClaimedByMe Thu 11-Apr-13 13:13:50

My mums vet reccomended chappie for her dog and it changed their lives, they had tried every expensive, fancy, vet reccomended food and nothing worked, when she started giving him chappie he never had a runny poo, he grew out of it when he was about 2 and now has a mix of chappie and barking heads.

HelgatheHairy Thu 11-Apr-13 15:37:01

Been googling and at the moment Lily's Kitchen is coming out ahead because there's a stockist in my town (I live near a small town in Ireland so not always able to get certain products). Will see if they actually have it when I'm in again.

chalkiegirl Thu 11-Apr-13 23:16:32

MY 3 year old cocker spaniel has also had several bouts of colitis but since putting him on a mixture of Fish for Dogs complete kibble and Pets at Home own brand Wainwright's wet food[ no gluten in either] he has been fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now