Talk

Advanced search

have i worked this out right? food related

(3 Posts)
mouses Mon 08-Apr-13 19:10:23

im trying to work out correct amount to feed my pup, Ive read so many different %'s of dogs weight my mind is spinning!

goin by the 10% of pup weight (if thats correct?) he's 12kg and fed 3 times a day. ive worked it out at 400g per meal, just seems alot confused

then im trying to work out how much % of this is to be meat, bone and offal (feeding raw) anyone able to help me out here? thanks

idirdog Mon 08-Apr-13 20:14:14

10% depends on the puppy. Once 10% of his weight exceeds 2% to 3% of his ideal adult weight (not present weight), feed the 2% to 3%. All the time you are doing this keep an eye on his build.

I would work on 2-3% of his ideal adult weight to start with and see how he gets on.

If you are just starting feeding raw you will have to give him time to get used to the diet so I would not mix meats and offal just yet. Get him settled on one meat before introducing the next.

I work on the following percentages but again watch the dog, if constipated cut down on bones if loose add bone etc.

80% meat, sinew, ligaments, fat
10% edible bone
5% liver
5% other organ meat.

I use liver as training treats over the week in small doses as this upsets my dogs stomachs if eaten in large quantities.

Do be prepared for other people to have other opinions. I fed a lower amount of bone because that is what works for my dogs. Others feed a higher amount of bone but the 70% that was first suggested by Lonsdale and Billinghurst is way too much.

Don't worry about making the perfect balanced meals as long as the diet is balanced over a week etc that is fine.

tabulahrasa Mon 08-Apr-13 20:53:37

I find that mine eats nowhere near 10% of his weight or 2% of his expected adult weight...he didn't eat the recommended amount of normal dog food either. Somebody told me that large dogs tend not to...I don't know how true it is though. He's only been totally on raw about 6 weeks or so, he's still put on weight so I guess it's not an issue.

I feed more like 15% bone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now