Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

my puppy wont wee anywhere except our house and back garden.

(16 Posts)
waikikamookau Sat 06-Apr-13 20:42:05

poor thing, if we take her out for some time she must be bursting.

she isi 5 months.
how do I encourage weeing?

she does poos occasionally while out but I think that is by luck rather than design

Lilcamper Sat 06-Apr-13 20:43:19

You need to take potty training back to basics. What breed is she?

waikikamookau Sat 06-Apr-13 20:52:13

jack

waikikamookau Sat 06-Apr-13 20:56:22

so lots and lots and lots of praise and treats, every time she wees?

Lilcamper Sat 06-Apr-13 20:58:07

She is young and has a tiny bladder. She needs to go out first thing in the morning, last thing at night, after eating, after sleeping, after playing and all times in between. Pretty much every 15 minutes during the day. If you are already doing this, I would have her checked out by a vet to rule out urinary tract infections.

waikikamookau Sat 06-Apr-13 21:02:57

really? uti, because she wont wee out of our house/garden??

Lilcamper Sat 06-Apr-13 21:04:36

Is she weeing regularly in your garden? (Sorry, I might have mis read)

coffeeinbed Sat 06-Apr-13 21:09:11

So, she only weeds in the garden and not when she's out on a walkie?

coffeeinbed Sat 06-Apr-13 21:09:45

wees, obus.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 06-Apr-13 21:19:37

Mine used to be like this, he's a Lab and while he was young he would only wee in our back garden he did eventually cure himself of his worries about weeing in public but I can't remember how, sorry.

waikikamookau Sat 06-Apr-13 21:28:01

thanks, I thought I had read of others not doing it out of their own area.
oh well, I guess it will come smile

3kids2cats2dogs Sat 06-Apr-13 21:35:10

I wouldn't worry about it, it sometimes takes a while, as you have spent weeks training her to pee outside in the garden and not in the house and I expect she goes in the garden first thing in the morning and last thing at night she probably thinks that's where she has to go....try taking her out for extra long walks and when she finally goes make such a fuss of her for doing it, I think my JRT boy was about 7-8 months before he was confident about doing his business outside of the garden, he is now 16 months and still waits till he is home to poop smile xx good luck xx

waikikamookau Sat 06-Apr-13 21:38:29

smile
that's good to know

CoolaSchmoola Sat 06-Apr-13 21:56:21

You can train a dog to wee on command which tends to solve this problem easily. Every time she squats in the garden give a command word, just before she starts, then big fuss and reward after.

If you do this every time she will quickly associate the command with the act, and the reward, and will soon wee when told to. Once you've cracked it in the garden you give the command out and about and the training will kick in.

I've done this with all my pups, and the bonus is when you're in a rush, or its pouring down the pooch gets on with it when asked, and doesn't bimble about.

Also by training to wee on command it helps with not weeing where they shouldn't as they look to you for direction.

I use 'have a wee'. It works lol.

glossyflower Sat 06-Apr-13 21:58:32

My malamute used to do this however I know the reason why ... When she was a pup and in training she used to pee in the house, as pups do when they are learning and my ex bf used to really tell her off.
Because of this she didn't associate peeing indoors as a bad thing but toileting in general and she became very shy to wee in poo in our presence including out on walks.
(Ex bf and I used to argue about this but he reckoned he was the expert at dog training as he'd had dogs before and I hadn't)
It got to a point where the poor girl refused to pee at all but as soon as we got to bed or our backs were turned for a minute she'd get up and pee in the kitchen. We could never catch her in the act!
We took her to the seaside for the whole day and she kept her pee in for hours! As soon as we got home she ran out the back garden to relieve herself.
Also if anything spooked her like sudden noises or fireworks (even the wind scares her!) she'd even refuse to go outside in the garden and would only toilet in the house. This has got better after us spending time with her outdoors when fireworks are in the distance and basically giving her lots of positive encouragement.
Anyhow long story cut short, my ex bf and I broke up and my now DH and I spent a long time ignoring the in house pees and praising the outside wees.
She has only pooed once on a walk and that's when it had snowed (shes a snow dog) but now finally on our walks she has a favourite pee spot that she now pees on everytime we go past it - but no where else.
Maybe your pup is nervous about toileting for some reason and only feels safe enough to do it at home. You could soak some kitchen roll with your puppy's pee and on your walk put the kitchen roll out on the grass so pup can smell the scent.
I watched my girl for signs if needing the toilet, and take her out straight away. Eg first thing in morning, after eating, last thing at night or if she starts sniffing around.
Both my dogs now know the 'toilet'' command and they will go to the toilet when I tell them now.
Your pup is only young yet though and will learn its ok to toilet on walks smile

glossyflower Sat 06-Apr-13 21:59:51

coola lol my command word is "toilet time" !
It is the best command I have taught them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now