Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Training theories

(11 Posts)
GeorgianMumto5 Sat 06-Apr-13 17:32:37

OK, so my rescue toy poodle is still only imaginary, but it looks like we might get one in a year's time. I want to be prepared and absolutely certain that this is for us. Who's hot and who's not in the world of dog-training these days? Brought the DC up in a positive parenting/AP kind of a way, so something with a similarly gentle, positive vibe would suit me well. Rescue dog may come fully-trained, but it might also be stressed and need reassurance. Either way, I'd like to read up on it, to fill the long wait before I can go poodle-hunting.

I'm reading up on rescue dogs too.

GeorgianMumto5 Sat 06-Apr-13 17:35:42

Sorry - obviously I don't mean to bring up the dog in exactly the same way as the DC. grin I just mean I'd like something based on respect and positive expectations, rather than yelling and dominating.

Ddog won't be co-sleeping or sling-riding.

Lilcamper Sat 06-Apr-13 18:10:34

You want something that is force free and ethical, based on modern learning theory. Here is a good start lothloriendogservices.wordpress.com/

Lilcamper Sat 06-Apr-13 18:12:13

Basically, anything that mentions pack, dominance or alpha, or suggests you use things like rattle bottles or water sprays, should be walked away from.

poachedeggs Sat 06-Apr-13 19:30:30

What Lil said.

Scuttlebutter Sat 06-Apr-13 19:38:28

There are some excellent books which will give you a really good background on dog behaviour, learning and training. I'd start with In Defence of Dogs by John Bradshaw. I'd also recommend The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson, something by Karen Pryor to explain clicker training, and The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell. I had the Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training for Christmas and I am finding it v helpful, also BAT by Grisha Stewart but hopefully you won't need that. Our dog trainer is also a big fan of Kay Laurence too - again v positive.

poachedeggs Sat 06-Apr-13 19:40:27

Can I add Don't Shoot The Dog to your list please Scuttle?

idirdog Sat 06-Apr-13 20:26:48

General Dog Books

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know: What Dogs Think and Know by Alexandra Horowitz

Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs by Suzanne Clothier

How dogs learn by Burch and Bailey

Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How
Best to Teach Them by Pamela J. Reid

Dog Language by Roger Abrantes

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas

Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide: Interpreting the Native
Language of the Domestic Dog by Brenda Aloff

Understanding the Silent Communication of Dogs by Rosie J. Lowry

Clicker training

Click to Calm by Emma Parsons

Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us about All
Animals by Karen Pryor

Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pyror

Clicking with Your Dog: Step-By-Step in Pictures by Peggy Tillman

Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs by Karen Pryor

When Pigs Fly! Training Success with Impossible Dogs by Jane Killion

If you become a member of the APDT you can borrow a lot of these books from their library

Lilcamper Sat 06-Apr-13 20:45:32

Also members of the Pet Professionals Guld get help and are a good place to start to find a decent trainer.

Lilcamper Sat 06-Apr-13 20:45:56

Guild

GeorgianMumto5 Sat 06-Apr-13 21:30:22

Great! Thank you! My local library is going to be busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now