Talk

Advanced search

Siberian husky and children.

(17 Posts)
DiscoDonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 21:56:14

My neighbour has a Siberian husky (pup), which is of course beautiful. My concern is that she has my ds's after school for a couple of hours twice a week. I've heard mixed reviews about this breed of dog and children.

There have been a couple of times when I've arrived to find dog and children out in the garden unsupervised. Never been any issues but the dog is already pretty big and bouncy. I'm worried that loud children and large bouncy dog are a recipe for disaster.

I'm rethinking the childcare arrangement because of this (I'm fine with dogs in general but I know that huskies require a very knowledgable owner and I need to know if I'm letting my concerns run away with me, I probably wouldn't be giving this a second thought if the dog were any other breed)

MrsVamos Thu 04-Apr-13 22:43:06

I was the owner of 2 sibes. My old boy was put to sleep 3 weeks ago today.

I have 15 years experience of the breed.

Husky pups are lively as they have a lot of energy to get rid of, but like any other breed as long as they are given an opportunity to exercise and are taught proper behaviours, I see no reason at all why you should be concerned about your children being looked after by your neighbour.

Treated and trained properly, huskies can be the most loving, gentle dogs you could ever wish to meet, and they seem to have an affinity with children.

I realise I am completely biased, but my sibes were brilliant with my children, I can honestly tell you we never, ever had any worries about them, they never showed any signs of aggression or anything like that.

I suppose like you say it depends on the individual dog and owner, but there is no reason I can think of like I said why you should view the fact that the dog is a husky to mean something adverse may happen.

I don't know if that's any help to you ? smile

DiscoDonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 22:59:02

Thank you that is helpful. He is a truly beautiful dog and loves fuss and attention. It's not a breed I have any experience with at all and just wasn't sure if they have any form for aggression around rowdy children? (I know all breeds can have the potential for aggression but this is clearly going to be a big, powerful fella!)

Clearlymisunderstood Thu 04-Apr-13 23:07:44

My ILs had two huskies, they were lovely, gentle creatures. However, they were very strong and almost knocked me off my feet on more than one occasion (I am by no means petite).
Regardless of the nature of the dog, they should never be left unattended with children. It takes a split second for a child to fall on top of the dog, dog thinks it is under attack and bites. Not worth the risk.

MrsVamos Thu 04-Apr-13 23:11:41

They are gorgeous dogs, but like I said, I'm biased !

I have known lots of sibes, we did loads of things with ours and met up with lots of other mad sibe owners, and I can honestly tell you I have never seen a sibe be aggressive towards children.

The females tend to be 'mothering' towards children, and the males tend to view children as a mate, someone else to play with !

Males can be huge daft things too, bounding about not knowing that by doing so they could send someone or something flying, but a good owner will teach a pup what is acceptable around people, not just children. The dog should learn there is a time for play, and a time to rest, sort of thing. Like any dog !

All children can be rowdy, and all breeds of dog can have a dog who can be sensitive to loud noises/noise in general, but that is also something that as a responsible owner, the dog should be taught that children playinng and making noise is not something to be scared or fearful of, or react to, in any way.

Most likely as the pup grows into an adult, come the summer months, you may well arrive to pick up your children, to find them sprawled all over the sibe, relaxing in the sun together, or having huge fun playing ball/chase !

MrsVamos Thu 04-Apr-13 23:15:47

I was going to say, maybe have a word with your neighbour about leaving your children alone with pup, as things can go wrong....not to say it would, but better to be safe than sorry.

I know all owners will say, "oh, he's a softy" etc, but if the dog has not been taught correct behaviours and etiquette around all people, including visitors, then accidents of any nature can and will happen.

Your neighbour really should be outside with them all.

toboldlygo Thu 04-Apr-13 23:17:36

Broadly speaking, huskies are naturally gregarious dogs with very little guarding instinct meaning that they are generally great with children. Sadly they suffer for their popularity and are often brought into homes not equipped to deal with their exercise and behaviour needs - my concern would be in a few months time when the pup is physically fully grown but still exhibiting puppy behaviour (and they have an awfully exuberant teenage stage!) where it ends up accidentally knocking kids over, jumping up, mouthing etc.

I think the breed is a bit of a misnomer, you'd be thinking the same if it were a rottweiler, staffie, GSD, doberman etc...

However, the breed of dog is irrelevent as they should never be together unsupervised.

MrsVamos Thu 04-Apr-13 23:19:50

toboldly

How are all your sibes ?

I lost my old Boy 3 weeks ago today. PTS. He had a brain tumour, poor old soul.

It's very, very strange and horrible not having any huskies about. sad

DiscoDonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 23:20:52

Yeah I think the unsupervised bit is the issue. Think both kids and pup don't know enough etiquette yet to be alone together!

MrsVamos Thu 04-Apr-13 23:23:53

I'd just have a word and say that you would be much happier if they weren't left alone together. At all.

If she says no, or pooh-poohs it, or you leave them with her and find them left alone together again, perhaps she's not the right person to be caring for your children anyway ? smile

DiscoDonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 23:31:05

I think you're right. She's a lovely person I'm sure she won't be funny about it if I ask. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an unreasonable request.

MrsVamos Thu 04-Apr-13 23:33:59

Not unreasonable at all. To be honest, I would have told you the same thing about any breed of dog.

toboldlygo Thu 04-Apr-13 23:35:21

Oh I'm terribly sorry to hear that MrsV. sad

My poor girl dog pulled up lame at an agility competition a few weeks ago, she wasn't quite right for a while and turned out to have torn her cruciate ligament. We're now 9 days post op (she had a TTA) but the vet says her progress is more like 3-4 weeks post op so everything is looking well for her recovery and we anticipate that she will return to full work. smile

My special needs boy dog is just as special as ever. He has however shown an aptitude for solo bikejor so I'll be concentrating on competing him at the start of next season until the other one can join him again. He seems to be enjoying the extra work.

Being badgered about fosters but won't take one yet while she's recovering and I may be having to change jobs so not a good time generally. The numbers coming in now are ridiculous though, I wish I could help more. sad

MrsVamos Thu 04-Apr-13 23:39:48

Oooh, sounds nasty for girl. Hope she gets better soon. smile

Your boys sounds lovely ! The boys do like the work, don't they ? It's almost as if they have a 'sense of purpose'.

I wish I could foster. Heartbreaking. sad

bochead Fri 05-Apr-13 10:25:52

Neither kids nor dogs will ever be 100% reliable. It's not a breed thing at all for me, as I'd have the same attitude if the dog was a pug. I'd make other arrangements for childcare. Other people's children are NEVER left with my own dog unsupervised.

Huskies are gorgeous though when well trained.

glossyflower Sat 06-Apr-13 22:20:16

IMO I don't think any breed of dog can be 100% trusted with a small child.
Especially when that child is not part of the 'pack' already, or family.
Any dog has the potential to become aggressive, over a toy or food or over another person if jealous, not only that as not all dogs show aggression but what if the dog was over excitable and knocked over the child or hurt in another way trying to play?
Also the husky dogs I have met have not been too friendly with my dogs or with me on my own but like I say it doesn't matter what the breed is.

MothershipG Sat 06-Apr-13 22:46:48

Irrespective of breed, as others have said, they shouldn't be unsupervised.

In addition, unfortunately for the Husky they have become the latest fashionable breed so the bybs and puppy farmers are getting in on the act, churning them out with no thought to health or temperament. Do you know if your CM got hers from a reputable breeder? Is she taking it to classes? I have personal experience of a Husky bought by a numpty from a pet shop who refused to train or restrain it that went from a lovely, if boisterous puppy, to an adult dog aggressive to people and other dogs, eventually killing another dog. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now