Talk

Advanced search

Eeeek- meeting new puppy on Saturday!!!

(6 Posts)
topbannana Wed 03-Apr-13 13:46:49

So the day is (nearly!) here....
Slightly earlier than I would have ideally chosen (and TBH I would rather still have BlackDog sad) but nonetheless, it is time!
It has been 5 years since I had a puppy and then they were mostly kennel dogs so housetraining etc was not such a big deal. We are experienced owners in a great situation but I am just so bloody sceptical on the one hand, while on the other hating being a one dog house.
Reassurance please that it will be ok smile

ILikeToClean Wed 03-Apr-13 14:39:43

You're experienced so of course it'll be ok! Hard work (I have a 9 week old puppy) but you'll love it, you know you will! What sort of dog?

topbannana Fri 05-Apr-13 12:50:46

Thanks liketoclean smile
They are a litter of working cockers, to "complement" our existing boy I must be mad We have the pick of the litter and are undecided whether to have a dog or a bitch, just waiting to see what takes our eye on the day.
Seriously anxious now though! hmm

ILikeToClean Fri 05-Apr-13 13:31:04

What are you anxious about in particular?

I was severely anxious about getting my puppy, we had never had a dog before and have an old cat, dds are 10 and 8 and I thought why are we making our lives harder, and we had considered this for about a year! Once we got him it was instant love, it is seriously hard work watching him constantly when he is awake and I do feel like our lives completely revolve around him at the moment, but I know that it goes quickly and it will get easier and we can see he will become a wonderful dog with the right training etc as he is already doing so well.

So you already have a dog who will probably show him/her the "rules" and it will be great fun to watch puppy develop. You wait, as soon as you pick you'll be sold on the idea. So..boy or gir is the questionl?

topbannana Fri 05-Apr-13 22:14:28

It seems like replacing my old girl sad

I cannot imagine only being a one dog house for much longer but the act of actually choosing a new puppy seems like we are replacing her. In fairness, they are totally different and I would hate to be the sort of person who hangs on to a departed dog forever but I still feel a little disrespectful (she was my once in a lifetime dog)

I think that once I have seen them and made the decision then it will be easier. It's just the anticipation that is so awful hmm

ILikeToClean Sat 06-Apr-13 00:12:33

Yes I can understand why you'd feel like that but this puppy will be totally different just by the sheer fact of being a puppy, a small bundle of energy, giving you the runaround, you'll have a different routine entirely with a pup so won't make it feel like a replacement, iyswim (not explaining myself well!), and of course puppy will have his/her own character. It's the hardest thing about having animals, letting them go and moving on hmmbut good luck tomorrow choosing, you'll fall in love with the right puppy who'll help heal the loss of your girl. I'll look for a "squeal - chosen our puppy" post - best of luck! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now