Talk

Advanced search

Is chili powder harmful to dogs?

(6 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Sat 30-Mar-13 20:17:06

I belong to a greyhound rescue facebook chat page, and someone on there has asked why her dog is eating its own poo. Someone else has suggested sprinkling chili powder on top of the poo to stop the dog eating it, and I know you shouldn't use it to deter cats because it's harmful but I was wondering if the same applies to dogs?

Thumbtack Sun 31-Mar-13 09:12:37

It's definately a mild irritant to skin or bowel, that's why the plant manufacters it as part of its defence, we humans just got a taste for it! I dont know if it's harmful as such, gut instinct says it wouldn't be nice for the dog if it came into contact? Is there not any other way to deter the dog from eating own poo? I'm interested coz my rescue dog has done this occasionally. It's vile!

Hattifattner Sun 31-Mar-13 09:15:32

ive herd of using white pepper as a deterrent, mainly because it makes them sneeze before they eat/chew.....Im hoping to use it today because my pup keeps ripping up our path!

Hattifattner Sun 31-Mar-13 09:15:56

heard not herd....doh!

Madamecastafiore Sun 31-Mar-13 09:17:15

We used Tabasco on our dogs poo to stop her eating it. She did stop and there didn't seem to be any I'll effects.

Whippoorwhill Sun 31-Mar-13 12:59:49

I don't have time to get anything on my dog's poo. She does it then turns straight round and eats it. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now