Advanced search

I think the end is nigh. can you talk to me about what's best please.

(17 Posts)
saintmerryweather Sat 16-Feb-13 20:18:53

as long as he isnt in pain and is happy i would let him carry on as he is until he starts to go downhill. if he has other issues i wouldnt put him through invasive surgery

TaggieCampbellBlack Sat 16-Feb-13 17:52:28

I've bought a steam cleaner for the carpet.

TaggieCampbellBlack Sat 16-Feb-13 17:51:33

He's on previcox for his back/legs.

He had a course of steroids once for a sudden flea allergy and went completely mental.

He's fine at the mo and hasn't bled since last tuesday.

poachedeggs Fri 15-Feb-13 19:42:44

Taggie, what other options did the vet offer? Depending on where the tumour is and how well you can cope with the bleeding, I wonder if a steroid might buy a little time? Is he on any other meds?

In situations like this I often prescribe an old-fashioned drug called PLT which is also helpful in cases of spondylosis. Along with a stool softener such as peridale it might be an option to consider. But very much dependent on the tumour and your ability to cope with any ongoing mess etc (which is not in itself an unreasonable basis to consider euthanasia - everyone feels differently).

Callisto Fri 15-Feb-13 15:26:50

It is so tough. Personally I would not go down the treatment route and just wait until he goes downhill and then pts. I don't envy you the decision though.

As far as the bleeding goes, my Mum used to use old knickers on our female dogs when they were in season (with a hole cut for the tail).

SirEdmundFrillary Fri 15-Feb-13 13:45:17

I don't know, Taggie, there's no right answer. It's going to be horrible whichever way.

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 13-Feb-13 18:31:27


Vet thinks its a tumour. He suggested sedating him, taking samples for histology and then treating with monthly injections.

I just don't know. Cost is an issue. As is Dog, his age, his wobbliness and the point. Is it worth it?

Or do we do nothing? Buy a steam mop for the stains on the carpet and just wait. While he's happy just carry on.

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 13-Feb-13 17:02:18

Thanks so much.

He's completely fine today. Cheerful and bouncing around herding the cats as normal.

Vet at 6pm. Will see what they say.

doglover Tue 12-Feb-13 21:43:34

I can only add to what the others have said. Be there, hugging, stroking and loving. Yes, it's terribly hard but you'll be doing the right thing for your gorgeous boy. We'll be thinking of you. x

topbannana Tue 12-Feb-13 20:39:26

Sorry to hear you are going through this, I recently lost my BlackDog at the age of 12 1/12 so I know what you are going through sad

My personal opinion is that I would not bring a dog of mine back round and bring him home. I have done it once before and the last couple of days were dominated by the knowledge of what was to come. I don't think we acted the same around BillyBadDog and in the end it was a relief when it was done, in a stange sort of way. I vowed I would never do it again.

If you decided to not bring him round from the anaesthetic then you can ask the vet if you can go in and hold him while they do the injection. I did this with BlackDog and found it comforting that I was there, even though she was most likely unaware. With hindsight this was the way we would have wanted her to go. She was diagnosed with bone cancer after x-rays under sedation, we made the decision beforehand not to bring her round if the news was bad. In this way I remember her fit and well rather than her suffering and in pain. Everyone is different but I am eternally grateful that my last memories are of her still happy and healthy (at least to the naked eye) rather than fading slowly and painfully away (as was the prognosis)

You should do what feels right for you, your boy and the rest of your family. Best of wishes to you thanks

bassetfeet Tue 12-Feb-13 20:05:35

pigsDOfly says it for me very eloquently Taggie .
Got nothing more to add to that .........just want to say I feel very much for you at this time . And send you hugs and empathy indeed .

pigsDOfly Tue 12-Feb-13 18:10:19

So sorry to hear you're going through this. It's so hard to know when to say enough is enough. I had to have my 18 and half YO lovely ginger tom PTS at the end of last year so can understand your concerns. For me, it's all about quality of life and it sounds as if your dog's quality of life is at a very low ebb now. I'd have thought, if it is a tumour such an invasive operation at his age would probably be too much for him. He's 13, a very good age. You've given him a good life and done all you can for him. He's probably tired now and ready to go. I think seeing what the vet says and then, if the news isn't good, having a last weekend with him is a lovely idea, if he's up to it, and will give you a chance to say a proper goodbye. Good luck

TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 12-Feb-13 17:24:10

Nappy idea is good. I'll try to make one out of a towel.

I've pretty much ruled out heroic surgery. Its not fair.

Its when; and whether to sedate and PTS if bad news or to wake up and carry on for a bit.

Floralnomad Tue 12-Feb-13 17:18:46

I would definitely go back tomorrow and take it from there . At 13 and with other medical issues I don't think I'd have anything too invasive done ( if its not just an abscess) . Hopefully you're worrying unnecessarily. Good luck

SirEdmundFrillary Tue 12-Feb-13 17:13:50

sad I'm so sorry. I don't know what I'd do. I think I'd get them to see if it is an
abscess and see if that can be dealt with, expecting the worst.

1MitchellMum Tue 12-Feb-13 17:04:25

Poor boy and poor you. Not sure I'd put a 13 year old through an op if he had other problems. Why not make the appt for next week and enjoy a weekend with him (as he's not apparently in pain). Then if it's good news you have more time with him; if it's bad news then at least you'd have had a farewell weekend with him. Could you try a nappy type thing so you could cuddle him in the living room rather than banish him to the kitchen. If in the meantime he takes a turn for the worse then you can take him in. I do feel for you. Good luck. x

TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 12-Feb-13 16:52:58

DDog has been bleeding out of his bum. The vet thought maybe an abscess and he's been on antibiotics since friday but no change. It's not smelly or pussey but there is a definite big lump there. He keeps suddenly bleeding so has had to be kept in the kitchen mostly because of trying to get blood out of the carpet.

Back to the vet tomorriw.

He's quite cheerful and not in pain, except when I'm trying to was his back end. He's eating as normal.

I think the vet is going to suggest sedating him so he can have a proper look.
If it is an abscess I suppose it can be drained.
But if it is a tumour what do we do?

Do I tell them to carry on and PTS straight away?
Or wake him up and carry on with him bleding all iver the place and banushed to the kitchen until he looks ill.
Or make a date for the near future.
Or go down the surgery/treatment toute.
Or make appointment for sedating and exploring for next week, and give him a last weekend, nice walks and chicken, expecting the worst.

He is 13, wobbly, spinal disease type arthritis,

What do I do?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: