Talk

Advanced search

What to do if your dog is being attacked?

(3 Posts)
AwsomeMrsFox Tue 01-Jan-13 20:50:51

Awesome Dog was attacked by a big dog today, thankfully we managed to break it up before he was badly bitten, but it got me thinking about the correct procedure (if there is one) for breaking up this sort of situation.

Big dog was off lead with two older children and approached unnoticed from behind, Awesome dog was also off lead. There was lots of snarling, barking and yelping and big dog lunged for Awesome dog several times (mostly neck), luckily Awesome dog is fast, but big dog eventually pinned him down. DH was close at this point thankfully - there was much shouting and DH used foot (not exactly a kick) to stop big dog getting into Awesome Dog.

I'm sure all the shouting etc didn't help the situation but it was very reactionary.I was also worried as has 4 young DC with us and was worried Awesome dog would try to hide behind them.

It all ended ok, but I would like to know if there is a better way to handle this situation?

Floralnomad Tue 01-Jan-13 22:25:25

In that situation I don't see what you could have done differently as you wouldn't have been able to get yours on a lead and away from the other dog . Also I wouldn't worry about getting a boot involved if I thought my dog was in danger of being mauled !

ggirl Tue 01-Jan-13 22:28:06

M friends dog was being attacked by a staffie who had it's head in his jaw and would not let go . She said she suddenly remembered something her dad had told her as a child..so she stuck her finger up the staffies bum..immediate release !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now