Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a dog trainer Sunderland/nearby?

(7 Posts)
Notonaschoolnight Mon 24-Dec-12 09:37:30

Hi after months of lurking as i couldn't remember my log in details (I must have reg years ago) I finally used the sense I was born with and used another email address to reregister so I apologise in advance as this may be the first of many questions, though I promise ill use search first!.

Ill be getting a new puppy Jan/feb time and I'd like to make a short list of trainers to check out. I've had Roughdiamond in Walker and The Doghouse in Seaham mentioned to me and I've had a look at the My Petstop in Washington website. Does anyone have any experience of these trainers or have others I should know about? Thanks in advance

poachedeggs Mon 24-Dec-12 10:14:57

Look for APDT membership to ensure they use the most modern approach. Lots of people call themselves trainers, and some I wouldn't let near a stuffed toy.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 24-Dec-12 10:17:44

Don't use any of the ones from hartlepool (unless she is very, very new, in which case it's me and I am brilliant wink) and don't use K9 Kapers. They all believe in dominance theory.

Gwen Bailey's Perfect Puppy is a must have.

Notonaschoolnight Mon 24-Dec-12 10:28:27

And modest too dooin lol! In all serious this info is exactly what I need so thank you. I do have the perfect puppy book from lurking on these boards. It's the only book I have, I've read it about 3 times since Aug I remembered the first time it scared the bejesus out of me there was so much to do but then I took my time and realised you don't do everything in the book the second the pup arrives some off it is a few months down the line phew! I've read the training for dummies is a good one too so that may go on my list

poachedeggs Mon 24-Dec-12 10:40:39

You're thinking of Pam Dennison's Idiot's Guide To Positive Dog Training. Great book smile

Notonaschoolnight Mon 24-Dec-12 11:15:22

That's the one poached and thanks for pointing out APDT I've checked them out on google maps for distance and the ones that are half an hour or less are;
K9 academy
Muttsmorphosis
Rough diamond
Have a good dog
So I'm going to look at those in more detail

Kaztaz Wed 04-Nov-15 12:08:50

Is there any good dog trainers in Hartlepool at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now