Talk

Advanced search

Do you leave dog in the car?

(18 Posts)
lisad123 Thu 20-Dec-12 12:37:27

We are on holiday with our dog. The girls want to go somewhere that doesn't allow dogs on way home. I have never left doggy in the car before unless we are camping and his covered in mud and then I will pop him in the dry out, but his right next to tent.
He would have whole boot, his bedding, chewies and water.
Would you do this? I wou,d come back and forth to check on him.
Is this a big no no??

flowerytaleofNewYork Thu 20-Dec-12 12:41:39

No way would I do it. I think my dog would bark his head off judging by his reaction when I left him in the car for 2 minutes to pop into McDonalds a healthy eating establishment yesterday.

lisad123 Thu 20-Dec-12 12:42:53

Ok, l doubt he would bark, but then I guess I wouldn't know blush

Onlyaphase Thu 20-Dec-12 12:44:49

I do sometimes, but there has always been two of them, they are used to travelling in the boot and just lie down and sleep. However, if they hear an odd noise or another dog, they will sit up and bark for a while.

Onlyaphase Thu 20-Dec-12 12:45:57

Oh, and I can't lock the car when I leave them (eg on school pick up) as the alarm is automatic when the car is locked, and the dogs set it off. Must be horrible to be trapped in a car boot with that noise, so I am uber careful not to lock the car.

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Thu 20-Dec-12 16:22:28

In winter yes we leave ours in - windows open with these and some bedding smile

Yes, but he has always gone everywhere in the car with me. He hates being left at home. Probably not a good idea unless he is used to it.

1MitchellMum Thu 20-Dec-12 16:39:39

No, not unless it's an absolute emergency. Dogs get stolen from cars, sadly. We do have a Safedog crate which is lockable, but even so I wouldn't leave them through choice.

lisad123 Thu 20-Dec-12 18:19:51

See that's my worry, would someone steal him!
He looks big and scary though so not sure. I doubt I will do it though, but nice to know I'm not awful for considering it.

NotMostPeople Thu 20-Dec-12 18:21:19

How long?

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 20-Dec-12 18:22:31

Will you have another adult with you? Could you take it in turns to sit in the car with woofy? Or, if you are likely to be there for a few hours, could you find a local kennels to have him for a few hours?

Festivelyfedup Thu 20-Dec-12 18:23:05

I wouldn't personally. Could one person stay with the dog and then swap halfway through? Another adult I mean?!

kilmuir Thu 20-Dec-12 18:23:40

only if it was a few minutes

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Dec-12 18:35:44

I do at this time of the year. I've got an estate car and dog has a bed in the boot. She seems quite happy sleeping in there. Sometimes she's in there while I do the supermarket shop. So will be left approx 30 mins.

She had to go in the car on the driveway last weekend as we had a buffet and she would nick food. House is open plan so can't shut her in anywhere. She was quite happy for 90 mins or so. No barking.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 20-Dec-12 18:37:46

For 5 mins during the school drop off or to go into the Post Office, yes. For any longer, no.

Aside from anything else my dog manages to set the alarm off if he sees another dog go by (excessive wobbling and woofing).

shoutymcshoutsmum Thu 20-Dec-12 19:06:37

I can lock our car but deactivate the motion sensor. My dog loves being in the car. He just curls up and sleep. Doesn't worry me at all whilst those who leave their dogs and pups tied up outside school/shops to fences, etc.....that worries me a lot more.

PartridgeInASpicyPearTree Thu 20-Dec-12 21:28:01

No. SpicyDog loves it on her bed in the boot of our estate car (as long as the rear wiper isn't on!) and I can turn off the alarm, but I would be concerned about her being harassed or stolen by passers by.

littlewhitebag Sat 22-Dec-12 10:23:39

My dog loves going in the car and she will happily sit and watch people going by for 30 minutes or so while i go to the supermarket. She has a car crate so she can't run amok.
We are going to relatives for Christmas lunch and i expect she will have to be popped in the car while we eat if we are to get any peace. They also have a dog and the two of them like to run round and round and round like cartoon dogs!
I wouldn't do it in summer though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now