Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reccomendations for a dog training book/dvd or both please

(8 Posts)
TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 18-Dec-12 18:56:41

My dad has two dogs, a 6yr old Jack Russell (well it's supposed to be, but it never is lol), and a 4mth old Labradoodle.

The Jack Russell is nuts, although a million times better now than when he was a pup. He gets very over excited at lots of things but mainly visitors.

The labradoodle is obviously a puppy, so does everything that puppys do lol.

He also sometimes looks after, and walks, an old, huge, ddb cross, two 2yr old rottie/ridgeback cross, and a year old alsation/great dane cross.

He is very good with all of the dogs, and they pretty much do as they are told with him, but I thought that a basic training book or dvd that covers every day problems might be a good xmas present, as I know things do occasionally crop up with one or other of them.

Any reccomendations would be appreciated smile

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 18-Dec-12 18:59:25

The Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training.

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 18-Dec-12 19:04:06

Thank you.

I like the title lol

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 18-Dec-12 19:15:21

My brother thinks my dad might be better with a dvd. Any reccomendations for those ??

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 18-Dec-12 19:27:00

I know Karen Pryor sells clicker training DVDs. She is very well regarded in the dog training world.

Kikopup on YouTube is excellent, but you can't really give him YouTube for Christmas can you? grin

I'm more of a reader than a watcher, though I do love Kikopup. I am sure someone will come along soon with some good DVDs.

The Idiots Guide is very simple and easy to read and is broke down into managable sections. I read the whole book in about 2 days. It's the kind of book you just dip in and out of as and when, if that makes a difference.

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 18-Dec-12 19:39:06

Yeh, i think i might get the idiots guide, and then a dvd aswell if i can find one.

I am making him a plaque with 'doggy daycare' on it, because everytime i go there, he has a house full lol.

AndARedwingInAPearTree Tue 18-Dec-12 19:59:14

Jean Donaldson's Train Your Dog Like a Pro comes with a DVD. It's more of a training manual rather than something aimed at sorting out problems. Have a look at it first and see if you think your dad would like it or not. It's very methodical and breaks down each command into different steps to work through that gradually build up difficulty. I think any dog trained this way would be perfect by the end of the book.

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 18-Dec-12 21:05:13

Ahh that looks ideal. Thank you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now