Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

oh newdog doesn't like being told off he stomps off humphing !

(9 Posts)
Mrsjay Wed 28-Nov-12 16:58:42

does anybody elses dog go into a strop when they are told off,

I have been advised on how to stop newdog jumping and nipping/biting I say OFF loudly it is working really well but my god he is like a teenager Humphing and wandering off in a right strop to sleep in the corner with his back to me, grin

Cuebill Wed 28-Nov-12 18:16:43

This does not sound like a srtoppy dog to me just a anxious unsure dog.

Mrsjay Wed 28-Nov-12 20:02:56

oh does he oh dear we have the behaviourist next week I will see Oh i dont want to make him anxious I just dont want him to bite and the usual distractions were not working . thanks a lot for pointing that out will look for other ways to stop him ,

guy at dog training class advised us to do it,

SpicyPear Wed 28-Nov-12 20:16:34

Look at it from a doggy perspective. He thinks you're great and wants to play, so he jumps up and nips to start a game. Then you shout at him. It's confusing for the little guy.

Inthepotty Wed 28-Nov-12 21:52:22

Just ignore the nipping/biting/jumping. Give him something else to do- sit, or go to his bed.

Cuebill, I don't mind my dog cuddling jumping all over me when we are playing but if I'm dressed up (rare!) or busy cooking (frequent!) I just say "not just now pal" and he usually just trots off to sniff the grass in garden or watch telly with DCs, does this mean I'm making him anxious?!!! I don't want to. He seems to just go find more entertainment, doesn't hide or anything?!

Sorry for hijack op!

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 09:36:05

I do ignore the jumping and just walk off it is the nipping well biting cos he does get a hold I feel awful now for shouting at him he is only 9 months but he has got into the habit for biting for attention at his last home we have only had him 7/8 weeks. when we distract him he is great he just seems to jump for no reason other than he is a puppy and fancies a play oh dogs are harder work than children hmm

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 29-Nov-12 09:42:07

Puppy just throw himself at me with gusto every time I moved when he first came here. It got old very quickly. He's a very big puppy. T'was not fun.

I simply ignored him totally, which is not easy when you have six stone of dog throwing themselves at you with all their might.

On the rare occasions I found him in his bed or lying quietly somewhere he got a treat from my magic pocket of treats. Now when he sees me moving about he throws himself towards the nearest bed grin

Could you try clicker training him for behaviours incompatible with biting / jumping?

i.e. he can't jump up if he's sitting so train him to sit in situations where he normally jumps.

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 09:44:21

Now when he sees me moving about he throws himself towards the nearest bed

oh i am so doing that grin he is zeeding at the moment next to me like a little furry angel grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now