Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Border terrier pups, Where to start looking?

(14 Posts)
Icanonlytry Mon 26-Nov-12 12:29:39

We have finally decided to get Dd a dog now she is old enough to help look after it, we have decided on a border terrier.
The problem is I dont know where to get a pup from. Have searched online and found some local breeders but how do I know if they are reputable breeders?
My friend is an experienced vet nurse and has said she will come with us to check the puppy over but I need to find one first smile

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:38:01

www.dogsblog.com/category/border-terrier/
www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/findarescue/Default.aspx?breed=3062

doggydaze Mon 26-Nov-12 14:16:23

I am no expert but on my web travels looking at rescues and researching traits of breeds I found champdogs.co.uk has a good description of breeds, then available puppies, breeders, stud dogs etc.

Others more expert than myself may be able to advise further.

Icanonlytry Mon 26-Nov-12 14:21:50

Thanks, I have looked on both of those links and they dont have what we are looking for anywhere near us.
Have looked on champdogs and contacted a few people on there but one has only got one dog left (dp only wants a bitch) and waiting for the other person to get in touch.

Floralnomad Mon 26-Nov-12 14:25:26

I'd be wary of anyone who has a puppy " left " from a litter , with most good breeders the pups will have been booked prior to the birth, especially for popular dogs like Borders.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 26-Nov-12 14:26:29

Oh you want a puppy now? sad

No responsible breeder would have a litter this close to Christmas. Plus they all have waiting lists. Anyone you can just trot up to and walk away with a puppy the same week is a BYB at best.

Icanonlytry Mon 26-Nov-12 14:49:54

Whats a byb? The lady I have just spoken to was planning on keeping one of the pups for herself but said a family member has became unwell and needs looking after so she can not look after a dog (pups mum) and a puppy. She said all the pups are still with her but they have already been reserved.
Thanks

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 26-Nov-12 16:15:56

BYB = Back yard breeder. In the best case this is someone who has been irresponsible and not gotten their bitch spayed and ended up with an accidental litter.

In the worst case it is someone who breeds their bitch to death (as in the literal sense) for cash.

As you are looking at pedigree dogs, near Christmas, your breeder is more likely to fall towards the latter than the former.

Floralnomad Mon 26-Nov-12 16:19:01

Sounds like an excuse to me ,way to convenient.

Icanonlytry Mon 26-Nov-12 16:35:29

I see byb makes sense now. What about someone who has decided to have one litter of puppies from their dog before getting her spayed?
It has taken years to persuade Dp to agree to having a dog and now he has agreed its not looking good for finding one sad

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 26-Nov-12 16:45:01

Well that is marginally better, although you are still encouraging the practise of breeding more dogs in a country where we are already over run with dogs and they are murdered by the hundreds every week for lack of good homes, for no reason other than money.

And you have to remember the strain that pregnancy has on dogs. Do you really want to hand over money to someone willing to risk their dog's life for some extra pocket money?

And then there is the risk that this 'one litter' breeder is lying and is either fronting for a puppy farmer (it is common) or is a frequent BYB.

A reputable breeder breeds only to improve the line of their breed, breeds infrequently and often only breeds when they need a puppy for working or showing. They will also source homes before they breed and have a waiting list, with stand by in case they are let down/end up with more puppies than they expect.

You should expect to be drilled by the breeder as though they were entrusting you with one of their own children and you should expect to have to sign a contract agreeing to return the puppy at anytime during it's life if you find yourself no longer able to keep it.

If you are not dead set on that particular breed there are loads of puppies in rescue, particularly at this time of year because people breed them for pressie money and then find they don't have enough buyers/enough money to raise the pups and dump them.

Scruples Whippet Rescue have whippet puppies atm. Whippets make excellent first dogs. Very easy going and laid back and don't need anywhere near the amount of training and stimulation a terrier needs. Impawtant Pups often has very young puppies.

exexpat Mon 26-Nov-12 16:45:57

You really are going to have to wait if you want to be sure of getting a healthy puppy from a reputable breeder. We registered an interest for our border terrier before his mother was even mated, so it was about a six-month wait until we actually took him home.

Any breeder with 'spare' puppies ready to go now is highly dubious - but will no doubt have made up a plausible story about a sudden change of circumstances etc. Occasionally you'll find someone with an older puppy they ad been intending to show but who has proved unsuitable - but that usually means they are nearly a year old.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 26-Nov-12 16:53:38

Puppies
Scruples the pups are on their FB page
Impawtant Pups most of their dogs are on their FB page.

Lozislovely Mon 26-Nov-12 17:53:56

I found puppy dog through a breed club. Contacted each breeder in my area to register my interest.

I was interrogated as to my home, family, work patterns etc. with the breeder we actually got puppy dog from. I've been offered assistance and advice for life.

There's no guarantee on getting a healthy dog for life but I did feel reassured that mum is a show dog and had undergone health tests. She had also only bred on e in the last 2 years as opposed to one person I contacted who appeared to have a conveyor belt churning out puppies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now