Talk

Advanced search

sick of family being negative about our dog

(11 Posts)
Crawling Fri 23-Nov-12 10:10:09

I was badly mailed by a dog as a child after which my family refused to let me near a dog again even re home my own dog which between these two things left me with a huge phobia. Well i realised my fear was being transferred onto my children and as they had no idea how to act around dogs make them more likely to get bitten. So i faced my fear and built myself up to owning a dog.

Now i am very proud of this and pleased i have had my dog three years now and while im wary with strange dogs im no longer scared to go out alone in case i meet a dog. But my family are really missing me off overtime there's a dog bite incident they try to force me to read the article saying just trying to remind you how dangerous dogs are. Do they not think that i better than them remember watt a dog can do? Overtime i look in the mirror and see the scars am i not reminded enough? Why do they want me to remain afraid of going out alone? And what do they think ill just home my dog because another dog bit someone? Sorry just venting as it happened again yesterday and i feel very angry with them I've made my decision and love my dog they should respect that imo.

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows Fri 23-Nov-12 10:14:31

I can understand that your family's fear over what happened to you means they want to keep you safe, but I also think that they need to know that their behaviour is upsetting you. Have you spoken to them about it? My MIL is very phobic about dogs, and every time there is an incident in the media she frets and 'subtly' asks me again and again about our dog. She's afraid for her grandchildren, which I understand, but it is very wearing sometimes.

specialsubject Fri 23-Nov-12 10:21:58

this is no doubt to do with the recent tragedy in Telford. Cars kill, electricity kills, water kills, many things kill if misused or left unattended, but that doesn't mean we mustn't have all of them.

be proud of yourself for dealing so well with what happened, you of all people would know what to do and what not to do with dogs.

Crawling Fri 23-Nov-12 11:47:15

Thanks both chickenshavenoeyebrows i was understanding for the first year showed them studies and statistics they are aware it upsets me but they seem to see that as hope i may come round to there way of thinking. My mum is not included in this however she has supported me fully.

Floralnomad Fri 23-Nov-12 11:52:00

Just ignore them . It's a pity that more people don't have your attitude and approach.

Crawling Fri 23-Nov-12 13:47:27

Thanks floralnomad and can everyone please ignore the typos in the opblush stupid auto correct on my phone

mosciva Fri 23-Nov-12 14:19:37

Having kept the dog our neighbour found in a bin left for dead three years ago it has helped our ds get over his fear of dogs. When he was small he would get very upset if a dog was even on the pavement near him (he never had any incidents or reason to be scared) but now he adores all dogs and has learnt to get over his fear. My MIL has always commented on our dog as she personally hates dog but now after 3 years of being licked and loved by our furry friend and the obvious pleasure our ds gets from her, she has come around. More than I ever thought she would so ignore anyone that sticks their beak in. Its your house and your family x

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Fri 23-Nov-12 14:24:30

Amazing story of overcoming your fears and being positive and forward looking instead of dwelling on an awful situation that is past.

Your family should be proud of you smile

EasyToEatTiger Fri 23-Nov-12 20:42:11

Congratulations on overcoming your fear, Crawling. It is such an achievement and you deserve recognition for this and not condemnation. very few dogs are actually dangerous thankfully. I took a friend who was terrified by dogs to our dog club, and she said afterwards that it really helped her to feel less fearful around dogs. I anticipate that it might have helped by having people around who knew what they were doing and were responsible for keeping everyone safe.

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 24-Nov-12 12:28:51

Well done Crawling.

From experience dogs and children in the same house are always going to raise an eyebrow or two.

Just perfect the art of smile and nod, smile and nod. If you get really good at it you won't even hear what is being said to you grin

Crawling Sat 24-Nov-12 15:42:30

thanks all i Will try not to let them get to me in future.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: