Talk

Advanced search

puppy has diarrhea :-(

(12 Posts)
WTFwasthat Fri 23-Nov-12 09:28:02

16 weeks old, been here 4 weeks nearly. Poos never really that solid but now really runny! He has pooed in the house three times since yesterdy despite being clean for 12 days. I'm guessing this is because he couldn't wait and needs to go more frequently and I wasn't quick enough with a toilet dash. He is eating and drinking fine but I really can't cope with days of diarrhea without a solution in sight. What should I do? He is on Beta Puppy food but was on Royal Canin from the rescue. He drinks from muddy puddles on walks despite my best attempts to stop him as they are abundant with this weather! Help!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 23-Nov-12 09:51:14

If he has never really been solid since you had him has he been wormed recently with a good quality product. If yes then you really need to see a vet to rule out infectious causes before changing diets.

tabulahrasa Fri 23-Nov-12 11:27:43

Don't feed him his next meal, then try him on chicken and rice...if it doesn't get any better then take him to the vets.

WTFwasthat Fri 23-Nov-12 11:46:56

thanks, I have already got vets appt booked. He has been for a walk and seemed fine but when we returned he dudn't even boter dashing to his food bowlblike he usually would and he didn't even pester me when I was preparing my lunch sad

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 23-Nov-12 12:53:18

Please don't withhold a meal from a puppy this is very outdated advice and can lead to dangerously low blood sugar.

HelgatheHairy Fri 23-Nov-12 19:19:10

My boy had the same thing at the same age. It turned out to be colitis. Vet said fast him for 24 hours then put him on Hills I/d food (its specifically for digestion issues). Sorted him right out. Weaned back onto his normal food.

WTFwasthat Fri 23-Nov-12 19:25:14

Well he now has antibiotics, a paste for tummy bacteria and three days more worming pills plus royal Canin sensitive puppy food. Hope this works! He has had two of the three doses today and still runny pops so am hoping it'll begin to improve mattes in a couple of days

HelgatheHairy Sat 24-Nov-12 11:55:41

WTF With Bailey it took 2 2kg bags of food before he was quite right. I can't remember quite how long that took but I'm thinking at least 3 weeks. He was on antibiotics for 6 days as well. I think in the space of 3 weeks he had to be fasted twice. It was a few months ago so can't quite remember.

WTFwasthat Sat 24-Nov-12 16:21:10

Max has onlybhad 2 poos today. Normally he would have had double that by now! Am keeping fingers crossed he is on the mend smile

HelgatheHairy Sat 24-Nov-12 20:07:43

wtf that's a good sign!

WTFwasthat Sun 25-Nov-12 08:14:44

and he is definitely less windy!

SoYo Sun 25-Nov-12 15:40:36

Scrambled egg (obvs no milk or butter) works really well for runny tummies in a pup. Worked a treat for mine and she still loves eggs now and then, especially if she's not feeling herself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: